Fibernet Updated Proposal

• Thread starter Thread starter pk_
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 48
  • Views Views 13,200
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol

As for Fibernet, it will not be able to peer (as in peering) without all the license malarchy that has been discussed both here and in other threads (and I'll post the rest in a Fibernet thread).

But if it ends up building some form of last-mile network (??) for which it will use to distribute the services of licensed ISPs then it can configure it's network in such a way that those ISPs would effectively be peered with each other HOWEVER each of those ISPs would have to agree between themselves on the peering arrangements for the benefit of Fibernet customers, as Fibernet would not have the legal right to do so. In essence this will result in Fibernet becoming a cablewala. (This paragraph is here only because Fibernet has alluded to the building of a GPON network in it's threads - if this is not the case, then it is not relevant).

If Fibernet is only planning to build data centers and buy bandwidth from licensed ISPs then it can only deliver content on the ISP's terms, as in, the ISP has the freedom to deliver Fibernet's content at the existing speed of the subscriber's Internet plan or at a higher rate, but the likelihood of this is questionable (there are plenty of data centers already in India and you don't see them getting any special treatment for delivering files fast unless they were built by the ISP themselves for delivering say VoD or IPTV or whatever, but then that's not user-generated/shared content which if I'm not mistaken is what I think Fibernet wants to offer). In this case, Fibernet could not take a cut of ISP revenue because no ISP would agree to it BUT, if Fibernet is delivering some content that Fibernet has as a VAS for the ISP, then it can be paid indirectly by the ISP for the subscribers that take Fibernet's service - which means legal content, which means procuring the same. Frankly, I don't see much possibility that any ISP is going to partner with Fibernet if it's going to hold illegal or "immoral" content as defined by Indian law.

So, from what I've been able to ascertain, it sounds like Fibernet wants to become a CDN of some sort, which will mean large pipes between data centers, which aren't cheap, but is an idea which I can totally support - the issue will be getting the content on to Fibernet (which Fibernet can charge for) and then placing it's boxes inside ISP Data Centers as companies like Akamai do. Which brings me to the question: what is the plan? What is the product? I still don't understand the business because of several conflicting or otherwise disconnected statements.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they still need a lot of planning before actually starting implementing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.