few questions related to dataone form a network n00b!

• Thread starter Thread starter cranky
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 2,187

cranky

ISP
bsnl
Hi, Im using BSNL dataone broadband, i wanted some info about the type of network that we are connected to? i mean my comp is connected to the dataone modem (router), so that itself forms a LAN right? 😕 and all the modems (or routers) that are connected at any point of time, form a kind of extended LAN or something similar?? 😕 and also.....we can view some other user's router config by entering some random ip address (within BSNL range, assuming the IP is of the same city),.. i have observed the page pops up as soon as i enter the address.... why is that, is it just because its "nearer" to my comp??Correct me if im wrong or sound stupid :ashamed: thanx!!PS: This question is strictly for educational purpose

i can make out that basically you have two questions...the answers are like this...1. It is no extended LAN and you can't share stuff the way you're thinking.2. Yes, you can get into someone else's router with the IP address, if you know the IP and the ID/pwd, and that router is in PPPoE mode.hope you got your replies for your "educational" pupose 🙂

You can share files. But its going to count towards your monthly limit, in case you are on a data bound plan. You look up DSLAM to understand more how the network works.

Hey thanx! that's just what i needed.... a keyword! will post more questions in case of doubts

Sure, i'll try to answer if i can. In the meantime here's an old post of mine about port binding, in case you're interested🙂

Port Binding Demystified!
Ok, not having anything better to do this afternoon, i decided to learn exactly how"port binding" works. I am posting this for the benfit of others who might be interested. Its not too technical and you get a fairly good idea.This is how UTstarcom(DSLAM equipment provider to BSNL) defines port-binding as( i think it calls it iSMART)
"Operator A offers both flat-fee DSL service to residential customers and to business customers such as Internet cafes.
All services are based on PPPoE authentication and utilize common B-RAS. To prevent residential customers from
using their home accounts at an Internet cafe, the operator has to bind the subscriber’s username and password to their
home DSL port. This way, residential DSL subscribers can use their logon information to gain Internet access at home,
but not at an Internet café or at the home of another residential customer. In this application, the DSLAM is required
to insert home-port identity information along with the PPP authentication packet."

B-RAS stands for broadband remote access server. Its used to authenticate subscribers. And this is what UTStarcom says regarding the "home port" in the above para

"iSmart inserts home-port identity information into the PAP authentication packet and relays the information to the
PPPoE server. Home-port identity information includes the AN-2000 node ID as well as the shelf, slot and port index
of the home port. This information is inserted into the username field of the PAP authentication request. The operator
can provision the system to replace the original username with home-port identity information, or to append the
home-port information in front of the original username. Each DSL port can be independently provisioned to turn
iSmart on or off and, if turned on, to either replace the username or append the home-port to the original username"

The An-2000 is the DSLAM model number.Hope this helped you understanding port binding a little better. 🙂