Fedora 10 releasing today!

• Thread starter Thread starter amish
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 105
  • Views Views 16,335
why arent they upgrading kernel to support ext4? whats the harm?

huh? i thot they were going to enable ext4 by default while ubuntu would have it as an option...or were you meaning in F10 itself? they probably need to test a little by then it will be time to release F11 anyway...

the thing is there seems to be bug in USB code of 2.6.27 because of which my bluetooth dongle as well as Nokia memory card (with USB cord) cant be accessed. they can however be accessed in FC6.and everytime they upgrade kernel its still under version 2.6.27.xand i dont want to recompile kernel as it seems to be way too complicated for Fedora. slackware was best for compiling kernel. fedora guys have made it complicated.

recompiling kernel doesnot depend on distros yaara:ashamed:.the good thing is debian distros with kernel_package can make a installable .deb of kernel,headers,modules etc .you boldly go and give a try.install the necessary utilities.you may want to check the version of various applications like binutils ,gcc etc.I think howtoforge.com will have good documentation for fedora kernel compiling.

well, i read somewhere that its not advisable to use vanilla kernel on fedora systems. and the procedure i read somewhere was bit complicated.

strange, i dont see automounting. i have 4 VFAT partitions. do u mean that started to happen after upgrading to KDE 4.2.1

Fedora Gnome version(even Ubuntu or whicever distro) works perfectly .it is ,kde 4.x which are quiet a buggy ,see ,I have had used Kde for so many years randomly trying.the shift from kde3(qt3) to Kde4(qt4.x) brokes lot of things.this kde4 will need another 1-2 years to stabilize.I am on Gnome FC10 where ,I use a Gnome Fedora 10 Livecd to install it.I ended up writing to HOW TO's in fedora forum regarding it after a long time Debian/Ubuntu user.Fedora is a nice thing.but definitely no where near Ubuntu in refinement and newbie friendly nature.but that said ,I like Fedora.:cool2:

Fedora 11 Beta is out. Tried the KDE and GNOME live CD images, nothing great about the distro. The wallpaper is nice, thats about it 🙂 Don't want to install just to see if nvidia KMS/Plymouth pretty-boot works or not. The package management is painfully slow and inefficient. For me Ubuntu still is the best for ease of use, default packages and package management etc...

Do you guys have spare harddisks, that u r trying everything?

Heh, no... downloaded the Fedora live usb creator which takes the downloaded ISO and make a bootable pen drive (USB stick)... this is the live image meaning you boot without installing...

But I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 beta on my desktop and laptop alongside Win7 beta 🙂

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Also, I have partitioned like this:

C: is windows boot partition (60gb)
D: is a NTFS partition for data (movies/songs etc 400gb)

Remaining (about 20gb) is empty space which I keep reformatting to try installing new Linux releases, so my C: and D: remain stable with my data...

aww!My system's partition is the 160GB hdd got a 3GB / and 24GB /home partition(hell ,I don't really download torrents.still..) for Ubuntu.and Fedora 10 is residing on the same partition as well.it is 26GB / partition.
all ext3 partitions for various data usage.:redface:
**No Window$ anyways!There was a Debian Sid install until February ,when the hdd went dead.

Update from my side, Fedora 10 releases KDE 4.3.0 RPMS.