Fedora 10 releasing today!

• Thread starter Thread starter amish
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 105
  • Views Views 16,337
Yes, the standard minimize/maximize effects are smooth in KDE 4.2... I like the wobbly windows effect too, smooth here... one effect I dont like is the "coverflow" window switching, it seems a little "stiff" not fluid like Apple/Compiz 🙂

edit: try enabling "v-sync" in the desktop effects options in system settings...

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

BTW Konquerer is lightening fast but a few websites (like google mail/reader) dont work too well with it... I am reading that Kubuntu might plugin the Webkit engine if released with qt4.5 and it works with flash etc so that websites think its apple's safari and don't shun it...

i hate coverflow like window switching in any OS. even on mac os x. i had like window switching to be as discreet as possible. i do not need to see thumbnails of the window. windows vista and xp has done that fine. if they make it any larger in windows 7, i would be a very sad man.

apna purana 7300GT hai..so I am not expecting much from 180.29 update.

Mine is bahuth purana GeForce 6200 and I am satisfied with the performance of this graphics card🙂

Yes, the standard minimize/maximize effects are smooth in KDE 4.2... I like the wobbly windows effect too, smooth here... one effect I dont like is the "coverflow" window switching, it seems a little "stiff" not fluid like Apple/Compiz 🙂

edit: try enabling "v-sync" in the desktop effects options in system settings...

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

BTW Konquerer is lightening fast but a few websites (like google mail/reader) dont work too well with it... I am reading that Kubuntu might plugin the Webkit engine if released with qt4.5 and it works with flash etc so that websites think its apple's safari and don't shun it...

Well I did try that Vsync setting, it still seems a little crappy to me, compared to what I saw on an Intel x3100 card on a friend's lappy 🙁
And only the minimise animation is choppy, rest all are ok. Thats weird! Anyways I ll stop worrying about this one now, I am getting my new lappy this week anyways!

Some bad news!KDE effects refuse to be enabled on my new lappy! (Studio XPS 13 with Nvidia 9400M). I just get a white screen 🙁 On the other hand , this except this one issue the laptop behaves very well with F10. My wireless etc worked out of the box, and even the multimedia keya work in KDE without any tweaking. And big surprise.. suspend to ram is finally working for me after 2 years! It never worked on my Dell Vostro 1400. Also I had to install 64 bit F10 to be able to use 4GB ram. But skype refuses to work with 64 bit. Anyone here has any experience using skype on 64 bit fedora?

Well I fixed it, the Nvidia driver had not installed properly the first time due to SELinux I guess. So I reinstalled the Nvidia driver and its great now. So only Skype problem remains! Anyone!?!Edit: I got around the skype issue. Here's how: Go to rpm.pbone.net and search for alsa-plugins-pulseaudio . Install the i386 version of that package and now skype works. The other 32bit alsa dependencies were auto installed by package installer in fedora, but this one was left out because the i386 version of the package is not present in the default Fedora 10 64 bit repos. So all seems well now 😀

why dont Fedora 10 guys up the kernel version from 2.6.27? 3 updates to kernel but all 2.6.27.X versions only

i think 2.6.27 has ext4 support as well, because changelog mentions abt it

well ,2.6.27 contains ext4dev(development version).with 2.6.28 ,they released ext4 which is almost stable.albeit some people complains about the need of frequent fscking needs due to the file system showing itself as fully occupied.

ext4 according to most reviews is a very fast file system.with a ext4 file system,you will experience faster copying of files.defragmentation is not needed in ext2/3 fs.only when u move a large chunk of GB's of data which is copied/moved regularly for eg: in torrent downloads in a / root directory without seperate /home partition.Ext4 FS claims to have a online defragmentation system to solve this.