Feb plans details released

• Thread starter Thread starter ultra vires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 7,365
Yeah.I agree that all ISPs are mediocre in our country.But atleast airtel stands head & shoulders above the rest.

must clarify one thing here. airtel does not pay me to say good things about them. i am not a spokesperson for them. they provide me good enough service for me to stay 300 KM from home just because i dont have any decent alternative for internet connectivity till now there. i think i must be the only dude here on this forum who actually left home in hunt of decent internet connectivity.

Originally posted by Sushubh@Jan 28 2006, 05:02 AM
i think i must be the only dude here on this forum who actually left home in hunt of decent internet connectivity.
[snapback]40693[/snapback]
[/quote]

not quite 🙂

i know a dude who covers the globe in search of decent internet connectivity

hint: look at the "From:" portion under my avatar ;-)

the website show new to both 666 and 999 plans..... the details all looks as before.. am i overlooking somthing??correction --- the new shows only in Topup plans... though i can't get how is that new.....

Originally posted by gabruputt+Jan 27 2006, 10:02 PM-->QUOTE(gabruputt @ Jan 27 2006, 10:02 PM)
Sorry Sirius, I disagree....I have not had a very good experience with Airtel therefore the difference in opinion?.I think I am free to voice my opinion on this forum, if I am not wrong?  I am sure others too share my opinion.
[/b]
What bad exp are u talking about ???

Originally posted by gabruputt@Jan 27 2006, 10:02 PM
And since when has Sushubh become an authority on broadband? .....and if you?re happy with an ?upto? 256 k connection.....good for you man. Try watching a super bowl match live and then let?s debate.

Ahh yes, the diff between bandwidth hungry streaming vs..low priority plain downloading. Give it time i think it shoudl be workable ith 512k. You got to take into account latency and priority as well, that's why ur stream is breaking up. Thats pricey, biz class, u gonna pay 10x more too. SO unless u want to spring for that i guess 'upto' will have to do for now.

I don't really follow American football, but WTF would u do this over the net ?

.... isn't it already there via any of the sports channels.....live too.

What bad exp are u talking about ???

Ans: downtimes, slow speeds, bad cc, delays in fixing things up...

I don't really follow American football, but WTF would u do this over the net ?

Ans: Beacuse TF is not available on sports channels here...also the govt. does not allow uplinking of foreign channels through DTH..unless uplinked from india...or soemthing like that.

Ans: NO

Heh..no. I think what ppl are amazed is that even in India you can get an ISP that just plain works...

works and ISP are not usually used in the same sentence here.

Ans: it does not speak good about a country that claims to be an IT superpower does it!

Is it fast enough, maybe not for some but damn good for everyone else. Way better than any other AFAIK. I don't see any probs with them having a 512k unlimited service if not better within a yr's time.

Ans: Sorry, upto 256 k not good enough for me! and the day you start sufing on an mbps connection you would realize it too,'cause right now it is like me talking to a tree. i am also waiting for the day 512k unlimited is provided....dont forget that by then most countries would be on Gbps.

Try to see whether u get that with anyone else here 🙂

Ans: what r u talking about?? do u mean other ISP's? I guess other ISP's dont see the need to improve, as people here are satisfied with 256K connections...and basically check mails!

Originally posted by gabruputt+Jan 30 2006, 08:17 PM-->QUOTE(gabruputt @ Jan 30 2006, 08:17 PM)
Ans: downtimes, slow speeds, bad cc, delays in fixing things up...
[/b]
i got an email from them a few days back saying there would be downtime of 4 hrs for maintenance. Between the hrs of 12:00AM - 4:00 AM on a Saturday. And that's per month. Guess what it turned out to be less than an hr this time. But i expect it once a month, at those times on a saturday usually. Not so bad.

When u say delays to fix things up. do they stay fixed or continously break ?

You don't say where you are from in ur profile, but what you just described there was typical of what i got from my previous local ISP.

I think your exp is totally anecdotal compared with what lots of ppl here have said so far about Airtel. I have hardly had to call CC, when i did, i asked for someone technical and got my answer immediately.

Originally posted by gabruputt@Jan 30 2006, 08:17 PM
Ans: Beacuse TF is not available on sports channels here...also the govt. does not allow uplinking of foreign channels through DTH..unless uplinked from india...or soemthing like that.

Ans: NO

i thought they show the finals live of almost evey other major sport here. But i will give you the benefit of the doubt.

A friend who likes the game was telling me recently how he got up at 5am to watch the games, seems odd they would leave out the big finale !!

Ans: it does not speak good about a country that claims to be an IT superpower does it!

This country was doing the IT thing 5 yrs ago, when broadband was unheard off here, did not stop more biz from coming this way now has it 😉

what does a country need to do before its qualifies to be called an IT super-power ?

At the moment it's increasingly a destination for cheap (intelligent) skilled labour that can do as good if not a better job than where it comes from.

Ans: Sorry upto 256 k not good enough for me! and the day you start sufing on an mbps connection you would realize it too....'cause right now it is like me trying to talk to a tree.  i am also waiting for the day 512k unlimited is provided...dont forget that by then most countries would be on Gbps.

What is the predominant net activity on the web ?

..its browsing.

use a decent browser with ad blocker, and a hosts file, optionally a caching dns server and things rock. But you would not know bout those tweaks, unless u had shit std 30kbs to live with previously. On 256k, i'd say the exp is almost like being on speed twice as fast. I never see Airtel's browsing speed ever exceed 130kb/s.

Anything that requires low latency like gaming or as u said earlier streaming, is not so good. Is there a way to save the stream to a file and then download after ?

Take a chill pill.....chillax mate. I have not had a good experience with airtel .....period! and i have posted some of my experiences on this forum before ... you could try and dig them out if needed...can't sit and type things all over again. maybe i am one of those unfortunate few...am i forced to like them or what? Man what a staunch following airtel has!Maybe next time i should contact you in case a problem arises....you could suggest the right people....as far as my experience goes they have not been very good. The only thing they have really been good at- is to send me the bill, bang on time....without delay. And followed by lots of bugging phone calls to inquire about the payment when the dealine approaches.I think we've also had enough discussions on this whole India being the best yaada yaada.... spare a thought for the other half of the population too! let us solve the basic problems before bragging about our IT success. - By the way, i too am living in b'lore currently...and what a mess this whole IT revolution has done to the city...practically made it unlivable. Never seen a city degenrate this fast. - Managed to escape the dialup business....was fortuate enough to live in a place that provided high speed reliable "broadband" connections for years now.- Super bowl was just an example.....there is lots more to it...I can't stream good quality video content on my 256k connection without delays/buffering.Always keep reading about bharti buying this undersea cable....tata buying that...and not to forget the grand daddy - Bsnl. They have been talking about this 3in thing for years now....remember reliance! But nothing turned up.Find out from your friend on which channel he watches the super bowl live.....i would be really interested.

Originally posted by gabruputt+Jan 30 2006, 11:00 PM-->QUOTE(gabruputt @ Jan 30 2006, 11:00 PM)
- Super bowl was just an example.....there is lots more to it...I can't stream good
quality video content on my 256k connection without delays/buffering.
[/b]
No chance of saving this to a file ?

It's hacky, but might be possible.

Even im having a REALLY bad time wid airtel.. They have LOTS of downtime. Most of the time its PPP Down or ADSL link down. When i call cust care, they say they'l send an engineer. The engineer DOES come, he checks up the ususal stuff, disconnects and re-connects all cables and then says "im sorry sir but there's asome problem with our backend". Funny if u ask me! :angry: :angry: