Feasibility of Airtel Broadband 8 Mbps Connection

• Thread starter Thread starter georgemp
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 21,550

georgemp

Hi, I just got my Airtel broadband connection installed (for lack of a better option). While applying for the connection, I was told that 8Mbps is not feasible in my area and had to take a 4Mbps connection. Unfortunately, the 4Mbps connection maxes out at a 80GB data cap, while on 8Mbps I could go upto 175GB. Anyways, with the 4Mbps connection, the modem/router status page says data rate 5117kbps and attainable rate of 23000kbps (with snr - 24.8/14.9 dl/ul and line attenuation 8.9/8.7). Does anyone know if the attainable rate of 230000kbps suggests that an 8Mbps connection is feasible (or are there other params at the exchange which might affect this as well?). Thanks

Capacity. If airtel has a loads of customers in your area, they prolly are short on capacity.

the modem/router status page says data rate 5117kbps and attainable rate of 23000kbps (with snr - 24.8/14.9 dl/Unlimited and line attenuation 8.9/8.7). Does anyone know if the attainable rate of 230000kbps suggests that an 8Mbps connection is feasible (or are there other params at the exchange which might affect this as well?).

Your modem is not lying. Those values are excellent. It seems that you're situated

Thanks. It's probably a capacity issue, but, I guess I'll try calling them again in a bit. 4Mbps for 80GB costs Rs. 1899 and 8Mbps for 175GB costs Rs 2599. But, I believe the tariff varies between cities. I am in Chennai and was looking to get reliance 4Mbps unlimited (but, it's not available in my area). On the upside, the airtel connection speed is pretty consistent.

I am in Chennai and I'm stuck with 4mbps because 8mbps is not feasible for my connection. It has more to do with the distance than capacity.Luckily, I'm stuck with the old 150GB plan.

@balajik - Would you be able to check what your modem home page shows for attainable link rate? Thanks

I'm stuck with 4mbps...

Luckily, I'm stuck with the old 150GB plan.

You mean you're paying 1499 INR per month for 4 Mbps, 150GB FUP? That's not bad.

@balajik - Would you be able to check what your modem home page shows for attainable link rate? Thanks
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 15620

You mean you're paying 1499 INR per month for 4 Mbps, 150GB FUP? That's not bad.
No. Originally, the plan was Rs. 2099 which was increased to Rs. 2250.

Thanks. It's probably a capacity issue, but, I guess I'll try calling them again in a bit. 4Mbps for 80GB costs Rs. 1499 and 8Mbps for 175GB costs Rs 2499. But, I believe the tariff varies between cities. I am in Chennai and was looking to get reliance 4Mbps unlimited (but, it's not available in my area). On the upside, the airtel connection speed is pretty consistent.
The correct tariff in Chennai for:
4Mbps for 80GB: Rs. 1899
8Mbps for 175GB: Rs. 2599

Knowing Airtel, they reserve the higher bandwidth for certain profiled customers. People who have been with them long or whose monthly bills are higher than average folk. When I moved home recently, my new area speed was maxed out and they could only give me a 2Mbps connection. I tried it for a month and it sucked. I cancelled and the retention folks tried to make me stay on by saying they will disconnect some of the low value accounts in the neighbourhood to ensure I get 4Mbps. I knew this is probably a bluff or will take them time, so didnt bother.... switched over to BSNL

Bah...It's all moot anyway. I had signed up for an advance rental plan paying for 5 months (6th month supposed to be free). When doing this, I had repeatedly asked the sales rep if I could change my plan in the 6 months to a better plan if available - and, he had said yes and I would just have to pay the difference in monthly rental (even called the head office in front of me to confirm). Now, airtel customer care says if I change my plan I lose the entire amount I have paid towards 5 months advance rental and will have to pay the new plans full months rental every month starting immediately. A retention rep (when I tried to cancel) initially said that wasn't the case and they would just deduct my new monthly rental from my current credit balance. But, then went back on that as well 2 days later, when a new rep called and said I would lose the entire amount and if i cancel will have to wait 60 days to get any money back. Went on to suggest I use smartbytes if I wanted additional usage...grr...anyways, long story short if you pay in advance, be prepared to stick with that plan for the entire time period despite what the sales rep promises :-(

HiI may also have to move to Airtel shortly as Sify is shutting down home operations in Bangalore.I am thinking of taking the 8mbps plan for 1250Can I load the free 1000 minutes in my airtel mobile SIMAre their any hidden charges like installation etc?Anything else I should watch out for while taking the connection?Thanks for advising

The 1000 minutes is only for local calls on your landline. I doubt you will be able to transfer that to your mobile connection. In Chennai, I believe all connections have installation fee and you have to purchase the modem (unless you take the 5 month advance rental plan), and even this option was available only for selected plans (as per the salesrep who came here). Not sure if bangalore is any different, but you have better plans (and maybe the competition there might give you better options on installation/modem fees as well). Best to check with the sales rep. The only thing you really need to decide on is bandwidth/FUP and then check with the sales rep on installation fees and modem charges. Also, they don't provide a landline telephone instrument in chennai. You have to provide your own (so, you could check with them on that as well).