False promise by airtel

ISP
Airtel
I have an Airtel broadband connection for around 1.5 years atm, my plan is Rs 1500, 8mbps till 60 GB then 512kbps, I have a 10gb(Airtel surprises) top up provided by them which takes the total to 70GB. A couple of weeks back, due to persistent disconnection problems,and laziness on their part to come and check my line,after me repeatedly asking them to do so I requested for a disconnection. As you'll know,call got transferred to the retention team and after like 20 mins or so I got offered 10gb extra which would be given to me every month. A couple of days in ,after the complaint,I got the 10 GB ,which showed up as smartbytes ,taking my total to 80gb. Now that the fup has been reset, since my billing cycle starts from the 11th, I've noticed the data limit is back to 70. Quite agitated seeing this, false promises on their part. Gonna be calling them up tomorrow for the same. Any suggestions, as to will they give it back to me(the extra 10gb data that is) and even if they do,should I be content with it? Quite determined to squeeze something more out of them.Chances of them just going ahead and disconnecting?As it is I feel they're quite expensive, reliance,alliance,railwire,bsnl(with shittier plans) are all available in my area, though connection wouldn't be as stable as Airtel I suppose. I've used bsnl prior to this which had terrible customer service)
P.S- the plan that I have is not generally available in my city.
P.P.S - I've posted this in the Airtel thread but I think chances of getting replies is higher here.

You're getting 60+10 as promised?

Surprises was only a one time thing, AFAIK.

Yes I'm getting the 60+10 top up quota( which is Airtel surprises ,and is permanent till plan is changed) ,but I was promised 10 more which I'd got as retention, and told that it would be permanent, but from the next bill cycle itself,ie, from today its disappeared and I'm getting only 60+10 instead of 60+10+10(retention)

One more thing, a friend of mine changed his plan a week ago, and prior to that was getting 10 GB from surprises,so obviously lost that. But I went on Airtel surprises and entered his number again and he got the 10gb back ,even after change of plan. So even if one changes their plan, chances are that if you go and enter your number again, you'll get the top up back as per the earlier plan.

When dealing with retention team, you must ask them to mail the details of new Plan clearly mentioning Speed, Data limit and Tariff.

When dealing with retention team, you must ask them to mail the details of new Plan clearly mentioning Speed, Data limit and Tariff.

I just called them up, the guy on the other side said that my monthly quota is 80gb (60+10+10 retention) and that it will get reflected in my account anytime in the bill cycle,which is quite weird ,and makes me not believe them. However, since the guy on the other side told me that it is 80gb and I'll get it, I'm willing to wait for a few days and see it it gets reflected becazue the last time it did, like this
60gb-plan
10gb-top up
10gb-smartbytes

This time it's
60gb-plan
10gb- top up
And the retention 10 GB isnt showing,but I've been assured that I will get it anytime. So let's see if I do.
Btw,had I spoken to them today,I would have asked them to mail me details had they changed ,because there's no other proof whatsoever, other than my order no which the retention department lady had given me

Reliance on reliance is the biggest problem isnt it? Their plan of 4mbps ul without fup at 1099 is superb, but stability is a big concern, and i guess you need to get lucky to get a stable one.When I had told airtel that i was willing to disconnect, it was reliance only which i had applied for, however i got offered 10gb extra and i didnt pursue reliance any further.Also Im not sure i had even got a call back from reliance.
Btw when i did call airtel up and told the retention lady that i was willing to shift to this plan of reliance, she said trai has recommended fup(LOL) , i put her in her place and she also refused to believe that reliance had such a plan.On me telling her that I would guide her through to their website and make her see the plan for herself, she told me they only have intranet

Airtel is misinforming customers. On many occasions, I have been told by Airtel executives that TRAI has ordered to impose FUP limits and every ISP does that. I have to remind them many times that TRAI did not ordered for any FUP limits and many ISPs including MTNL & RCom have no FUP.

Someone need to record the Airtel executives conversations when they falsely blame TRAI for imposing FUP. And send that recording to TRAI.

because there's no other proof whatsoever, other than my order no which the retention department lady had given me

Many people don't know that Airtel keep records of recent conversations. You can also demand conversation ID just like service request numbers.

Last edited:
Yup, people like us who know it put them straight, but the others get taken for a ride unfortunately.Also , I called them up again and this time got a task number written down,apparently I should be getting a call from them within half an hour, and the 10GB missing should be added within the 15th max, if not I guess ill have to call them again.
Btw is there some issue going on with the site? Either its not loading or its taking quite some time to load.

Update: I did get a call back at around 4 and was told that this additional retention data would be added within a day of the starting of the bill cycle as it takes some time for it to refresh on their servers(weirdly) but on checking now it has indeed got added.So I guess I'll have to wait for almost a day for it to be added after the start of my bill cycle.Fair enough.Not a problem.Mods could you please close/delete this thread? Since my title isn't right anymore

Wait for the actual delivery. And keep an eye on the bill for a few months. Airtel tends to forget their promises.

They did add it, its become 80gb.However you're right, guess I should see how it goes on for the next few months, I'm not sure had i not risen the issue i would have even got it back! So yes,will keep an eye on it and see if they deliver without me having to nag them in the subsequent months.