• Thread starter Thread starter rodeoz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 3,008

rodeoz

Mirror Cracking Material
ISP
Airtel
HiI am using a Vodafone sim on a factory unlocked iPhone 4. I am successfully able to activate facetime (in the process an international sms is sent).But the problem is that when I switch off the phone the facetime seems to get deactivated and when I switch the phone again I need to activate it again (and thus another international sms needs to be sent).Anyone has a similar problem? Or is this because I am not on an official carrier (Airtel or Aircel)?CheersA

Well even I have the factory unlocked phone and using VF. I have no problems using the facetime.

You mean you had to activate FT only once and thereafter even if you reboot your phone of switch it on and off you don't get charged for any international SMS?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The iPhone 4 activates FaceTime by sending an international SMS. This happens only once as long as you don't remove/change your SIM. If you remove/change your SIM it sends another SMS for FaceTime activation. It shouldn't be trying to activate if you only switched off and then switched on your device. If it is doing that I would suggest you try restoring your device to factory settings via iTunes. Then set it up as a new phone, don't restore from backup. If you still have the same issue, take it to the store and get it replaced.

The iPhone 4 activates FaceTime by sending an international SMS. This happens only once as long as you don't remove/change your SIM. If you remove/change your SIM it sends another SMS for FaceTime activation. It shouldn't be trying to activate if you only switched off and then switched on your device. If it is doing that I would suggest you try restoring your device to factory settings via iTunes. Then set it up as a new phone, don't restore from backup. If you still have the same issue, take it to the store and get it replaced.

Are you using FT on Vodafone? I hope the issue is not because of Vodafone not being an official carrier. A few others have experienced issues on unofficial carriers on factory unlocked phones.

Perhaps I should wait till iOS 5 is released. I never tried activating FT before but am currently running iOS 5 beta and thought of activating iMessage. It was here I faced this issue and then realised that it happens with FT activation as well.

Are you using FT on Vodafone? I hope the issue is not because of Vodafone not being an official carrier. A few others have experienced issues on unofficial carriers on factory unlocked phones.

Perhaps I should wait till iOS 5 is released. I never tried activating FT before but am currently running iOS 5 beta and thought of activating iMessage. It was here I faced this issue and then realised that it happens with FT activation as well.

Yes I use a Vodafone connection with my iPhone 4. I've not faced the issue you have described. I'm thinking the issue could also be because of iOS 5 beta you are running. You need to understand that beta versions are not always stable and are meant for developers only for testing and development. These days lot of people are installing beta versions of iOS and some are facing issues.

Have you tried downgrading to iOS 4.3.5 and checking if the issue still persists?

Nah. I will wait for iOS 5 public release. Looks like its a beta specific issue. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE: The problem had nothing to do with iOS 5 betas. I checked the bug report and there wasn't any iMessage bug. I had cut my sim myself but today went to the Voda store to get an official microsim.Guess what? Problem vanished! The phone works like a charm and there are no iMessage/Facetime issues anymore. Could be a sim related issue.