EXPIN: An alternative to NIXI

• Thread starter Thread starter mgcarley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 4,388

mgcarley

Founder, Hayai Broadband
ISP
India: FTTH, FTTB or 3G // NZ: VDSL // USA: FTTH or Cable (DOCSIS3)
During the past few months in setting up Hayai, it's also been made terribly clear about one thing that could help the Broadband situation in India.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: NIXI either has to change, or it has to go.

NIXI is supposed to be a non-profit organization (that part I believe), however it allows ISPs to essentially charge each other tariffs of Rs25 per GB. At 1gbit/s, with an in : out ratio of 3:1 and utilization of 80% or so, this comes out to a total monthly bill of Rs44 lakh, or about Rs17/GB.

That's a hell of a lot of coin, considering that 2 months of that could pay for a year's supply of bandwidth to Singapore. Yes, a year (well, a single STM-1 @ 155mbit/s, anyway, but the cost still only works out to about Rs13/GB).

As you can imagine, if I, as an ISP, can save Rs4 PER GIGABYTE, I'm damn well going to, otherwise I have to pass that on to you - the consumer.

Now, one question. Why in the hell am I paying more per GB for DOMESTIC traffic than I am for INTERNATIONAL traffic? It's pretty ridiculous, if you ask me (and if you're reading this, you probably are).

But it doesn't have to be like this.

In our quest to establish Hayai and to ensure that we can provide the fastest speeds and best pings in India, we've had many companies come forward and ask if they can put their equipment in our data centre (hosting companies and game server companies, mostly) but I figure: why should they have to put in OUR DC? Granted, it does give some competitive advantage, but, users on ISPs which don't offer the speeds that we do shouldn't have to suffer.

The solution? A new peering exchange.

We thought about doing it alone, but then I was alerted to the existence of another person who wants to do it, which is good, since the regulations probably prohibit me (personally) holding all but a limited role in such a project. So, if we/they can get it all set up, get past the various hurdles and get other ISPs to peer with them, then all going well, EXPIN should replace NIXI.

I have posted emails between myself and the person attempting to set up this project. Please read and discuss - EXPIN: An alternative to NIXI « Broadband Blog

Sounds good.