Experiences of using GPS

• Thread starter Thread starter mreccentric
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 103
  • Views Views 16,103
I just drove for 10km and half of my phone battery is drained. Isn't it Awkward. How can anyone use it for long drives?
But can i know how much does using GPS drain battery? Tell me in terms of time or km and also the type of system you use(smartphone/gps system).

That is why you keep the phone on charge while using it as a GPS Navigation Device.
Even then the battery would barely get charged more. It sort of balances out.

Bobbyguitarist said:
Well GPS is rather dependent on your mobile net connection (3G/wifi). If they suck, your GPS will also suck.
if its agps aka assisted gps. else you should be fine. gps can at times go foobar. if its unable to send sync packets. ermmmmmm trouble :-D
-paul

gps is no where related to mobile network. GPS provides latlog which can be plotted on world map. So it depends if you have maps offline then no data is needed if you dont then only data is needed to view map. Still GPS will do its job.

anyone tried opensteetmaps?
-paul
aviral sangal said:
gps is no where related to mobile network. GPS provides latlog which can be plotted on world map. So it depends if you have maps offline then no data is needed if you dont then only data is needed to view map. Still GPS will do its job.
agps derives its concept from gps, but it uses the MBTS (mobile base tower stations) to triangulate position. thereby saving power of directly hooking up with the sattelite, and then it syncs with the gps sattelite.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS
hth
-paul

aviral sangal said:
In assisted GPS it is. If there is signal fragmentation etc. then locking a signal purely on GPS can take a long time, stretching in minutes. But if its assisted by the network (either MSB or MSA), the lock will almost always be much quicker. Depends on the GPS hardware, some phones have pretty crappy antennas.

It is terribly expensive. I bought an Onda GPS device with a 7" screen and Windows CE 6.5 for 2k. (it was a special sale, but even the regular price was ~4-5k I think)

planning to use my Ericsson F3607gw which is an agps 3g modem on my t60 and x60, the thing is i got no sim card adaptor for t60 and no mini pcie (usb adaptor) for x60. where can i get a sim adaptor for t60 in india? then i can try and post the results. as how it works.
-paul

look on ebay or try cutting it your self 😛
mreccentric said:
I just drove for 10km and half of my phone battery is drained. Isn't it Awkward. How can anyone use it for long drives?
But can i know how much does using GPS drain battery? Tell me in terms of time or km and also the type of system you use(smartphone/gps system).
which phone ?

I'll simultaneously charge while using gps next time. BTW, Does using AGPS decrease battery utilization? I never knew this.