Experiences of using GPS

• Thread starter Thread starter mreccentric
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 103
  • Views Views 16,102
i got it, i was able to precache the map. each time i precache it is max of 10m range. so i did multiple precaches and was able to store some maps.Used google navigation for the first time, was a good experience. I need to buy a stand for my mobile in the car. Anyone have the idea how to check airtel 2g data usage in mobile?

i got it, i was able to precache the map. each time i precache it is max of 10m range. so i did multiple precaches and was able to store some maps.
Used google navigation for the first time, was a good experience. I need to buy a stand for my mobile in the car. Anyone have the idea how to check airtel 2g data usage in mobile?
What phone and what os version are you using?

Cached/Offline map areas are meant to used when you dont have internet connection on the move.

i'm using samsung Galaxy pocket with Android 2.3 as OS.Tried installing Syngic, but it was downloading some 300MB, so cancelled it and tried to delete which was not possible.BTW, are precached maps temporary and only for single time use? its not there now.

Tried Sygic today... GOOGLE Navigation seems to be par better.Have some questions about G Navigation, experienced users please answer.1> How can i view different routes between two places?2> I didn't understand the traffic analogies and its representations with different colours, please tell more about this.3> How can i find nearest ATM/Hotel/Supermarket when i'm on the way to somewhere?4> Sometimes, the navigation shows wrong points as a destination, how to report it, or help improving.

1> How can i view different routes between two places?
In voice navigation mode, there are three icons on the bottom right. Click the middle icon. That will show the different routes on the maps. Tabs will also appear on the top of the screen. Each tab corresponds to a different route. Eg. Three tab for three routes. Select your desired route by clicking the tab or the route itself, then press the arrow on the bottom left & you've been re-routed.

2> I didn't understand the traffic analogies and its representations with different colours, please tell more about this.
See here.
Traffic color descriptions - Maps Help
Green means that traffic conditions are good, yellow means fair, and red or red/black means poor traffic conditions

3> How can i find nearest ATM/Hotel/Supermarket when i'm on the way to somewhere?
When in navigation mode, go to Options -> Layers. You will have Petrol Stations, ATMs etc. Don't know about supermarkets though.

4> Sometimes, the navigation shows wrong points as a destination, how to report it, or help improving.
That has to done in google maps (not navigation mode) on your phone. Or on your computer. There will be an option to 'Report a problem'.

Sygic is damn correct than Google for me, Are you in iPhone? 😉
Are you staying in any metro city or elsewhere? I think GNavigation is slightly better than Sygic. The colour of the map also make me feel that. BTW, i'm using it on my Android. To be frank, through sygic i was able to see name of some locations which aren't even updated on GMaps. In that way, sygic is good.
I think both ha e their own advantages. For real time traffic, Google is good. For offline sygic of course scores.
true, but google maps also has a facicility to pre cache maps. I hope Google Maps start offline maps soon.

In voice navigation mode, there are three icons on the bottom right. Click the middle icon. That will show the different routes on the maps. Tabs will also appear on the top of the screen. Each tab corresponds to a different route. Eg. Three tab for three routes. Select your desired route by clicking the tab or the route itself, then press the arrow on the bottom left & you've been re-routed.

I didn't get this. Can you explain more ckearly? i dont see any 3 icons. perhaps an image will help me.

BTW, i'm using sygic... in which there a problem in turning on voice instructions. whats the correct method?
i think its a bug, it stopped once when i was using it.

Can i precache map in google navigation and use it multiple times?

I didn't get this. Can you explain more ckearly? i dont see any 3 icons. perhaps an image will help me.
This image is from Google finally brings turn-by-turn navigation to India Navigation_alternate_route_view.

Look at the bottom of the image - The second one from the right. That is the alternate route icon.

BTW, i'm using sygic... in which there a problem in turning on voice instructions. whats the correct method?
i think its a bug, it stopped once when i was using it.
Voice instructions are on by default. Try restarting the phone. Which verison of Sygic do you have? The latest is 12.1.3.

Can i precache map in google navigation and use it multiple times?
Yes. You still need an active data connection to use google navigation. But it won't use as much data because it's cached. Open google maps, go to menu-> Make available offline. Pan & zoom to select the area you want to download & click done.
Google Maps How to Make Your Maps Available Offline - YouTube

Look at the bottom of the image - The second one from the right. That is the alternate route icon.

Thanks, that helped...

what is the difference between old maps and updated maps in sygic? in what way would it be helpful?