Excitel internet working directly via LAN but not via Router

• Thread starter Thread starter salaxzar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 18,400
Use the old router for pppoe login, feed lan port into wan of new router. Sometimes excitel last mile router creates trouble.

Hi Everyone if anyone having trouble with PPPOE connection setup in Router clone your mac and and retry it will work.

the app and the website should have the reset mac option. but if they are doing mac binding, new device should not login at all?

Use the old router for pppoe login, feed lan port into wan of new router. Sometimes excitel last mile router creates trouble.

Good news and bad news,

Good news is that I got the Netgear router to work in bridge mode with the old TP-Link router. and now I'm getting 90 Mbps on both Lan and wireless!

Bad news, probably I'll have to use both these in conjunction with each other for a while at least.
As per a previous comment in this thread, I'm hoping the issue goes away on its own.

@Sushubh I had already talked to the customer service yesterday about MAC binding, and they said that they don't use this method. I'm kinda inclined towards that answer too as that would mean only the MAC binded router will work and no other.
But other routers work, but not how they should. Even the router that used to work before perfectly (D-Link) with 90 Mbps speeds is not working properly anymore as it's also giving 9Mbps. So seems like a configuration issue at the server side.
Something that only the TP-Link router is able to demodulate properly.

4adIkP9.png

no harm in trying it? 😛

Problem is the last point router from where you are getting the connection via ethernet cable. Mostly low quality stuff used by cable operators which behave unwillingly out of network standards.

Your old router must be ignoring whatever sent by it.

Glad to know it got solved. 5w more power consumption.

Already tried that, manually set it to 100Mbps with no effect.
This issue has really perplexed me.

Did you manually set it to 100 Mbps on your desktop or the router?

See if the Netgear or D-Link router has an option to manually set port speed to 100 Mbps full-duplex for the WAN port. I feel sure that this is a port speed autonegotiation issue.

Problem is the last point router from where you are getting the connection via ethernet cable. Mostly low quality stuff used by cable operators which behave unwillingly out of network standards.

That is what my *uhm* prognosis is as well. Excitel hasn't been the best experience anyways since day one.

I guess it's time to change the service provider.

Your hunch was right! Even my hunch was right 😀 The problem was with the switch they had used on the pole right outside my home.
There was a storm a couple of weeks back that had disrupted the lines, so they had changed the lines and replaced the fried switches.
They replaced it with a TP-Link switch with Gigabit ports (older ones were D-Link Switches with 100Mbps Ports). The Gigabit port where my internet line was connected had a bit of carbon on it. But my Older TP Link Router picked up on that and demodulated the signal anyways.
But my newer D-Link and Netgear routers have trouble demodulating those signals. Today I requested a home visit by the L2 Team.
I explained to them the issue. And asked them to try and change the port on the switch to a 100Mbps port or change the Switch entirely.
They changed the switch, and the all three routers displayed 90Mbps download speed!
They then put the Gigabit switch back on and connected the same port my line was connected to before, and speed went down to 9Mbps on Netgear and Dlink routers. They then used a different port from that same with, another gigabit port and now my speed is back on 90Mbps.
In short, the problem was a faulty connected on a replacement Gigabit Switch.

So they'll be replacing that switch with a new one. And for now, my speed is back to 90 Mbps on all my routers!