Excitel Fiber Announced!

I've opted and asked my friends as well but I don't have high hopes based on past experiences. The whole network seems to choke on weekends in my area.

Last edited:
With Excitel Fiber you are not going to face such problems with network choking because each customer is going to have a dedicated capacity.

The entire technology is more expensive to deploy vs the traditional LAN... that's the biggest challenge and the one thing that makes its adoption slow and difficult.

Since we are discussing, any chance of transit speeds improving. The speed and ping to international servers specially US and Europe are pretty bad.

Can you provide example of servers and your ping/traceroute to those servers from Excitel and maybe comparison from other ISP.

If some ISP India is having better reachability to those servers we can eventually improve it also, but we need to consider also that some resources are just too far away from India and unless they become local (which is happening slowly slowly) things can't be drastically improved.

Finally someone who is listening. So the problem is a bit weird the upload speeds are fine I usually get maxed out on my upload speeds. The problem is with download on a 50 meg connection I'll be more than happy if I get 35+ meg on download. The upload in my case is maxed out to 50 (sometimes even more 🙂) whereas the download is around 20-25.

Will provide a detailed report with multiple tests and traceroute in a few days.

P.s. The transit speeds have improved drastically if I compare them from the initial speeds which I was getting when I got the connection (about an year ago). Even now 20-25 Mbps is great but more speed doesn't hurt anyone (if possible 🙂)

ftth is expensive to deploy yet you guys are not charging anything for changing a customers wire from cat5e to fiber optic.
you guys are only charging 1000inr that is for the ONT.

you guys will incur expenses while deploying fiber to a customers premises so its only fair that you charge for it from the customer.
most isps take anything from 2000inr to 5000inr but its not the case with you guys

i am not complaining rather i find it amazing that you guys are able to do this but still im curious.

wouldnt you be in a loss if you deploy fiber without charging for it?

i believe it is like the perfect example like " you pay 50 rupees per month for modem rental for the moment you use our network"
meanwhile "we liquidate your 1000 rupees and get interest on it just to keep it in out banks, and you go, we will give deprecated 1000 rupees"

Finally someone who is listening. So the problem is a bit weird the upload speeds are fine I usually get maxed out on my upload speeds. The problem is with download on a 50 meg connection I'll be more than happy if I get 35+ meg on download. The upload in my case is maxed out to 50 (sometimes even more 🙂) whereas the download is around 20-25.

Will provide a detailed report with multiple tests and traceroute in a few days.

P.s. The transit speeds have improved drastically if I compare them from the initial speeds which I was getting when I got the connection (about an year ago). Even now 20-25 Mbps is great but more speed doesn't hurt anyone (if possible 🙂)

If you are getting 25mbps to US, Europe and no packet loss it is ok. Even ACT and such is worse sometimes in speeds. I think Tata backend has more such problems versus Airtel

It's a matter of uptime vs latency, Tata offers higher uptime whereas Airtel offers lower latencies. I've seen more outages on Airtel than Tata. But nowadays I'm seeing better latency on Tata for some locations.

If you are getting 25mbps to US, Europe and no packet loss it is ok. Even ACT and such is worse sometimes in speeds. I think Tata backend has more such problems versus Airtel
I don't know why but packet loss has never been a problem for me (lucky me I guess 😉). Even I don't mind 20+ megs cause I don't use international servers that much but won't mind extra speed (if feasible of course).

Having Power backup at 1 Central Location is feasible and all LCOs usually are having it, but when not using FTTH technology, you need to have power backup not only at central location but throughout your entire network (in at least few locations along the way) and this is usually difficult to achieve in the environment in which LCO operates... messy and unstructured areas.

FTTH guarantees that power and weather related issues will be minimal, or close to zero.

I suggest to give it a try on Excitel Fiber when it becomes available in your area.
How can I know if my area is having the Excitel Fiber now?

How can I know I won't face Power Backup issue?

Work on proper map of Excitel Fiber coverage is already in progress, but will take time to make it right. Maybe by end of Jan we can have it publicly available.

The roll-out is happening every day and we are adding more and more localities, but still it's much slower than desired 🙂