Excitel dumping 100mbps plan. Upgrading existing plans to 200/300/400mbps

• Thread starter Thread starter havoc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 93
  • Views Views 15,823
Just contacted the customer support, and they said there are NO upgrade in speeds for existing customers, Due to limitation of their systems they can't upgrade speeds before the existing plan expires.

Last edited:
How did they upgraded those 50, 75, 100 Mbps copper connections to 100,200,300 Mbps fiber then? 😂

A lot of people in their support doesn't even know they've upgraded their plans. I think they really need to work on customer service team. But I've seen this with every other company. Even airtel CC didn't knew about new plans when I called them after they've upgraded the plans in 2020 as i remember.

Have you tried asking on LinkedIn? Shreya madam? I think she knows better or she'll have the same reply. Whatever but I guess we have to wait for the plan expiry 😭

@Life_Warrior When is your plan expiring? Are you going to try 400 Mbps or you're fine with thr 200 Mbps deal? 😁

Are you going to try 400 Mbps or you're fine with thr 200 Mbps deal? 😁
For my purpose even 50-100Mbps was enough but who don't like savings and upgrades 😉
If someone still choosing 100Mbps plan is getting scammed as 200Mbps is coming for same price.
Price difference between 200Mbps and 300Mbps Plan is around ₹336 and that of 300Mbps and 400Mbps is around ₹1000.

Have to wait till March 2023 for my plan to expire 😕, may go for 200 or 300Mbps plan.

That's a really great thing you said. Mine will expire on 7 December 2022 but for me 400 Mbps is cherry on cake. Because for 300 Mbps 12 months I used to pay 7065₹ per year now it's 400 Mbps and price is also 6999₹ flat discount of 66₹ with upgraded savings 😁

Also 50 MB/s downloads will definitely be easier to calculate by head rather than trying to always sum up the time by calculator 😅

lHRNPso.webp

"Stay Tuned for more exciting updates !!"
😍 What's coming next!

Last edited by a moderator:
fY6SPtq.webp

300Mbps OTT with P - Amazon Prime, Sony LIV, Zee5, voot select, 70+ Live TV channels on Playbox TV app.
300Mbps OTT without P - Sony LIV, Zee5, voot select, 70+ Live TV channels on Playbox TV app.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow how did you got this secret material? 😁
It's not there on their website or on social handles...

Things I need from excitel....

1. 500 Mbps & Above Plans (Even They're Not The Same Budget Ones Like 583₹ Per Month. I'm Ready To Pay 1000₹+ For 500 Mbps & Above But Please Bring Them For Special Users With Special Price 😁)
2. Landline (Charge 100₹ + GST every month & make it optional.) So those who want to take it can have it. Else bundle it with other plans or OTT ones. That's how the ARPU will increase.
3. Give wifi 6 router with premium plans.
4. I don't know because that's all I needed. But feel free to tell what you guys want excitel to do 👇

What's coming next!
I don't know & I can't guess 🫣 but hoping to see some amazing stuff 😁
What do you guys think what's coming? @Life_Warrior @Lolita_Magnum 🤩

• Wifi 6 is a stretch, expect them by 2030. Their existing Wifi 5 routers are complete garbage, I'd rather they just go for dumb ONUs and add an optional additional for an ethernet router.
  • As long as Excitel relies on Tata, I doubt 500Mbps will come anytime soon.

Regardless, I have moved my Excitel connection as a secondary connection for my other family members to use and might drop it when the plan expires. It's not on par with my requirements based on quality and needs and the support is horrible. My 4-day-old ticket is yet to be fulfilled.

Last edited:
@Lolita_Magnum @Life_Warrior anyone of you know exactly what's their uplink capacity?

All I know (from an excitel ground level technician) about his area is as follows...

They use 16 Port GPON OLT which serves technically upto 2048 connections. They have about 950-100 customers in their area. Here's the picture he shared where we can see the OLT.

Source

As it is a Syrotech OLT - SY-GPON-16OLT » Syrotech

We can see that it has 16 PON ports & 4 Gigabit SFP ports (can someone let me know why these 4 Gigabit SFP ports are used?) As well as 4 10 Gigabit SFP+ ports for uplink.

As we can see in the image above. They have all 16 PON output ports occupied. Also they just have one 10 Gig uplink SFP port plugged in with dual mode (multimode) fiber 1 Up & 1 Down. Means they're getting 10 Gig uplink for around 1000 Connections.

So my main questions are...

1. How are they able to serve around 1000 customers with just 10 Gig.
2. Is the 10 Gig uplink provided by Tata symmetrical? 10 up 10 down? (I think yes as it's a multimode fiber)
3. Isn't this a bottleneck? Or either they never reach peak bandwidth.
4. What if they hit the peak bandwidth? Do they add another 10 Gig link to the remaining 3 SFP+ ports?
5. As per any of your experience what is the cost of that 10 Gig link they take from tata?
6. What if the main line breaks? Is it underground or overhead?
7. I've seen a big fat orange multicore fiber going inside my excitel LCO office. Is that the backbone?
8. Who takes the responsibility & care of the tata uplink? Tata, excitel or LCO? (Probably tata)
9. Why those guys are so secretive about the uplink? They share everything but not the uplink.
10. Just like excitel can we also take 10 Gig uplink from tata? What are the problems we're gonna face?
11. Can't excitel just fill up all those 4 ports with all 10+10+10+10=40 Gbps link & start providing plans up to 1Gbps?
12. Is the backbone directly connected to cities via hubs & POP's to excitel's main backbone network?
13. What is their split ratio per output PON port? What dBm standards they have?
14. Does Excitel has standards like how many connections they can give per port? Or they can give up to 128 connections if the dBm power to each connection is fine.

Feel free to answer any question if you aren't sure about other questions.

Last edited:
i once got access to excitel's Mikrotik router which didn't have a password on. back then, the lco was new to excitel and so didn't have many customers (i think like 200 ppp leases were on). the max speed i saw on the SFP+ interface was ~3Gbps (at peak hours). Sadly I lost the screenshot.

Most people don't use the full speed at all times. Even streaming it'll stop downloading once buffer fills up. Almost all the users on the leases page were on 40/50/100Mbps speed at the time, very few (~5-10) were on 300Mbps.

Last edited:
All I can give you are vague answers.

The tata uplink is at TATA data center, from where fiber cables are laid to their main supply head office which is the main Bgp router, from there on it's excitel's internal network. SO the orange fiber is probably excitel and they will be responsible for the maintenance. No one is gonna have unique transit links for each LCO.

Uplink at TATA would probably be in pairs of 25Gig each or less.

SFP is ethernet over fiber.

If their uplink ever gets saturated they'll probably won't do anything since it's rare, most household even with 300Mbps connection unless they are torrenting or downloading a game of a CDN, it will rarely every saturate over 100Mbps.

The tata transit where it exist is probably using Jumbo Frame with an MTU of 9000 and even there you will have some losses in capacity.

The excitel main office is definitely also keeping the BNG for PPPOE authentication too.

Rest questions can probably be answered by an Excitel insider and I doubt they have 1000 customer over one 10 Gig link.

There's also the fact, the most people mostly use Google/YouTube, Netflix, Prime/Amazon or some Social Media even CDN providers like Cloudfront by Amazon, Akamai, Fastly and Limelight, etc and these are usually main usage from the household. Excitel does not need Tata transit for these servers as they are directly peered with them or are peered over an internet exchange.