Excitel Broadband Port Forwarding: Support Says All the Ports are Open?

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
Even with ZeroTier, you could pay 5 USD per month a get a Digital Ocean droplet and make it your ZeroTier relay node and then do whatever it is you want to do.

Or if the service itself can be run on a Digital Ocean droplet, even better.

So tell us the actual problem and we can solve it.

Reactions: alphago and abbyck

achaudhary997

Regulars
Apr 15, 2018
@achaudhary997 You mean to say that it's you who is initiating the connections to the other peers? And it is through this connection they are able to reach you?

Also, have you ever tried ZeroTier? If you don't mind, could you set it up on two devices, one of the Excitel network, other elsewhere and see if these devices establish direct connectivity?

You could just run the below command and see if you see an IP address against the other device's ID.

zerotier-cli listpeers

ZeroTier appears to get through NAT in various ways, would be interesting to see how it fares in case of Excitel.
What i meant is that Utorrent is a sophisticated software. Say person A is seeding and person B is a client. If the client is behind a NAT there is no problem as he can still connect to the server. But if the client has a public IP and the server is behind NAT then what Utorrent does is that it will tell the server to connect to the client (as client has public IP) and then transfer data through it.
But in my case even though I am seeding and I am behind double nat still I was able to get incoming connections (verified using wireshark). I don't know how Utorrent managed to punch a hole through double nat [though possible but it is usually done via STUN/TURN servers which I did not notice in the packet capture]

alphago

Regulars
Sep 24, 2018
Varkey is correct. Get some Vps and use it as a OpenVpn relay (Bangalore Digital Ocean) and use it for port forwarding. I used it when my ISP didn't give me Public IP). Most of the time port forwarding doesn't work on double nat. Or use Airtel for Plex(Airtel has all ports open and ip doesn't change unless you restart the router)

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
What i meant is that Utorrent is a sophisticated software. Say person A is seeding and person B is a client. If the client is behind a NAT there is no problem as he can still connect to the server. But if the client has a public IP and the server is behind NAT then what Utorrent does is that it will tell the server to connect to the client (as client has public IP) and then transfer data through it.
But in my case even though I am seeding and I am behind double nat still I was able to get incoming connections (verified using wireshark). I don't know how Utorrent managed to punch a hole through double nat [though possible but it is usually done via STUN/TURN servers which I did not notice in the packet capture]
True, but then for the first point, how does the torrent client tell the "server" in this case (to initiate a connection to the client ie a reverse connection) that there is a "client" looking for data from him? He can't accept incoming connections right. Perhaps that works only if the "server" is also actively downloading and he connects to you to get some data off of you and in turn you pull data from him as well.

If say for example, you, the client is publicly reachable easily, and the list of peers are all seeders who are behind NAT and cannot be reached, would a seeder peer initiate a connection to you even though he doesn't need any data from you? If so how does he get to know? Does a seeder (behind NAT) look at the peer list and just try to connect to other peers who needs data? 🤔 When I think of it, it does sound feasible.

Regarding the NAT traversal, you are right, could be some form of UDP hole punching via STUN etc. I believe ZeroTier would also be using something like that to traverse the NAT.

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
Varkey is correct. Get some Vps and use it as a OpenVpn relay (Bangalore Digital Ocean) and use it for port forwarding. I used it when my ISP didn't give me Public IP). Most of the time port forwarding doesn't work on double nat. Or use Airtel for Plex(Airtel has all ports open and ip doesn't change unless you restart the router)
Although I am biased towards ZeroTier cause its so damn easy to set up. Setting up OpenVPN when compared to setting up ZeroTier is severely complicated (not saying that its very difficult, but ZeroTier is almost zero configuration).

And the latency to Digital Ocean Bangalore is really great which makes it the cheapest option if you want something like this in India.

achaudhary997

Regulars
Apr 15, 2018
If say for example, you, the client is publicly reachable easily, and the list of peers are all seeders who are behind NAT and cannot be reached, would a seeder peer initiate a connection to you even though he doesn't need any data from you? If so how does he get to know? Does a seeder (behind NAT) look at the peer list and just try to connect to other peers who needs data? 🤔 When I think of it, it does sound feasible.
In this case we would need a third party (to know who that third party is will require some more digging) to which everyone can connect and that guy will tell people to connect to a person if required. I guess trackers would be able to do this (not sure they if they actually do🤔).

Even when I tested while seeding. Few connections were initiated by my machine and few were initiated by someone else requesting data from me. So I guess some third party should be there. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: varkey

ajgamer

[OP]
Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
Hi. I need help with my setup of Port-Forwarding and the Mobile 4G. If anyone wants to help, let me know. (Private Only).

And, Let's keep this thread for the Excitel's Port-Forwarding only.

MW420BLAZEiT

Apr 19, 2019
my plex started working when i cahnged the port from 32400 to 179
Rather than saying ports are open I would rephrase it as "ports are not blocked". On excitel's public IP only two services are running which are ssh (22), BGP(179) [as told to me by nmap]. Therefore if you type publicIP : Port in any application you can only connect to these two ports. I am doing some more tests.

So just to make sure. I used a small Linux machine which I had and added that to DMZ. Still, I can't connect to it using the public IP which I have.

achaudhary997

Regulars
Apr 15, 2018
Ok, this is interesting. I'll also try and update back

EDIT: Nope not working for me. Can you access it from some other network? Although it will be weird cause port 179 on public IP is already in use so i dont think you can get another service to listen on it.

Last edited: