Excitel Broadband Port Forwarding: Support Says All the Ports are Open?

achaudhary997

Regulars
Apr 15, 2018
Ok, so this is weird. According to utorrent it has incoming connections available and the port is working correctly and is open for incoming connections. Damn have to see how it is doing it.

Source

Anyone using spectra feel free to answer the questions below when you get time.

1. Since there is a NAT what happens when you try to port forward a port which is already in use by some other user?.
2. Can you tell me the first three octets of your public IP?
3. How does peer to peer applications like utorrent behave? Does it say that you have incoming connections?

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
@achaudhary997

1. I'm inclined to think that they do one-to-one NAT for some reason, so the public IP is one to one mapped to the internal WAN side IP address. In that case there shouldn't be any port conflicts. Other wise I can't think of a way this would actually work, cause the moment I add a destination NAT rule it just works.

2. Well, take the whole thing ;)

Code:
[root@varkey-minipc nginx]# dig +short minipc.varkey.net @8.8.8.8
minipc.varkey.info.
[root@varkey-minipc nginx]#
3. Yep, uses uPNP to setup the port-forwards which essentially just creates the port-forwards automatically.

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
@achaudhary997 it's possible that Excitel could be doing something similar but maybe they are allowing only ports above 30k for example? Perhaps try to manually port-forward with a port above 30k and see if it works out.

achaudhary997

Regulars
Apr 15, 2018
Ok, so even excitel is also doing something which is not as straight forwards as spectra. Somehow utorrent manages to get hole punched through the DUAL Nat on the port that it randomly selects (shown in settings).

Source

Reactions: varkey

achaudhary997

Regulars
Apr 15, 2018
Nope. manually opening port in the router achieves nothing.

EDIT: Since utorrent seeding works in both ways. I.E. If the peer cannot connect to your IP, then your IP will initiate a connection to the peer. I checked using wireshark and could see that it is the other peers you are initiating a connection to my machine. Therefore they can access my pc from outside.

• Sad
Reactions: varkey

ajgamer

[OP]
Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
So, I had Static IP from the Excitel for some hours and Port-Forwarding worked flawless with it.

I ran Plex on that (since Plex is the best way to test your Port-Forwarding). I was seeing movies of Full HD perfectly.

Excitel 50Mbps ---> Airtel 16Mbps. (Plex Movie Streamed)

I'm just not sure if I should ask them for the permanent as my LCO is shit. I might not even continue Excitel in coming days.

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
Nope. manually opening port in the router achieves nothing.

EDIT: Since utorrent seeding works in both ways. I.E. If the peer cannot connect to your IP, then your IP will initiate a connection to the peer. I checked using wireshark and could see that it is the other peers you are initiating a connection to my machine. Therefore they can access my pc from outside.
@achaudhary997 You mean to say that it's you who is initiating the connections to the other peers? And it is through this connection they are able to reach you?

Also, have you ever tried ZeroTier? If you don't mind, could you set it up on two devices, one of the Excitel network, other elsewhere and see if these devices establish direct connectivity?

You could just run the below command and see if you see an IP address against the other device's ID.

zerotier-cli listpeers

ZeroTier appears to get through NAT in various ways, would be interesting to see how it fares in case of Excitel.

Last edited:

ajgamer

[OP]
Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
^ I tried Zerotier, but it doesn't solve a lot of issues. It worked for the Plex but not for me where I need the real port-forwarding.

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
If you can tell your use case or give a similar example (as it appears your use case is top secret ;) ), I will try to help. If not it doesn't go anywhere.

You are considering that port-forwarding is the only solution to your problem, there could be different ways your problem can be tackled and we can't even go through those alternatives unless you tell us exactly what you need.

And no I don't want to discuss in private.

Last edited:
Reactions: abbyck