Excitel Broadband is now allowing some DNS servers including Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 and OpenDNS

i am facing no issues using NextDNS on my phone but with airtel vowifi. jio sim is now in dad's phone so cannot say about it. his Redmi note 7 does not support vowifi on both airtel and jio.

Changed back to excitel dns as 1.1.1.1 choked jio wifi calling.
Using 1.1.1.1 as private dns over android, and vowifi works fine. May be the bad vowifi from jio was coincident with your dns change

@philip marlowe i know this is completely offtopic and not the right place to ask but can you please shed some light on routing to singapore servers?
for over 6 months now, pings to singapore server have been messed up. they are reaching 300ms as opposed to 80ms. i had to buy a VPN subscription on top of excitel recharge just to improve my ping and do my work

DoT with one.one.one.one on Android. Jio VoWifi works fine here.

Also, just ran a benchmark and yes, Google DNS is indeed much faster than Cloudflare on Excitel.
The results were: Google's DNS > Excitel's DNS > Cloudflare

All allowed DNSes are

1.1.1.1 - Cloudflare
1.0.0.1 - Cloudflare
208.67.222.222 - Open DNS
208.67.220.220 - Open DNS

Anyone can use them if they want...

The reason why DNS is auto-forwarded to local Excitel DNSes is because most users have some DNSses configured by someone who has no knowledge of how things are working and those users will suffer from bad experience due to this and blame Excitel and it's really difficult to explain everyone what is the right DNS that they should use and why....

Also in most cases Peerings and CDNs work well only when using ISP DNS and this is how you can achieve max speed, best experience.

Very rarely there is a need to use non-ISP DNS, and for those cases the above 4 DNS servers can be used or someone can use VPN to bypass the DNS forwarding.

Google is not on the list? They should have lower latency than these two on Excitel as you have peering with them.

On related note... Get peering with CloudFlare!

Believe it or not but exactly Google's dnses create problems with many of the other CDNs/Peering providers and too many users are putting 8.8.8.8 just because they know it as their DNS ....

Excitel is peered with Cloudflare already 🙂 This doesn't necessary mean that Cloudflare Peering in India provides also 1.1.1.1 - We have to check it, but sometimes CDN/Content providers are partially advertising their prefixes in certain locations.

The reason why DNS is auto-forwarded to local Excitel DNSes is because most users have some DNSses configured by someone who has no knowledge of how things are working and those users will suffer from bad experience due to this and blame Excitel and it's really difficult to explain everyone what is the right DNS that they should use and why....
So those using smart dns providers like getflix, unlocator etc which provide selective proxy to bypass geo-restrictions or those who have built a similar solution for themselves in the cloud won't be able to use their own dns? Very poor choice for an isp, in my opinion. What I've personally seen is that it's only isps with a very large variation in quality between pure (non peered) bandwidth and peered bandwidth or self served cache that resort to this.

India my dear is not well connected to the world therefore Peering/CDN is the only way to have good experience for most of the services.
Can confirm that. CDNs are the only way I can reliably stream from servers in SE Asia and Europe. From my experience non-CDN servers don't really offer the same level of performance as most of us need. Especially if streaming 4K and beyond.

Believe it or not but exactly Google's dnses create problems with many of the other CDNs/Peering providers
This though is something I find quite surprising! From what I know, Google supports EDNS Client Subnet guidelines, unlike Cloudflare, which means it should be better for on-prem peering and the like. Is there something more to it?

And I certainly would not opt for an isp that forces its choice of dns servers on me.

encrypted dns takes care of this problem for me. i am not happy with their policy but it makes sense on their part to do it to ensure majority of customers do not end up with crappier experience considering the reliance they have on peered networks. supporting cloudflare and opendns does open it up a bit.

i assume that dns services that provide region-unlocking also provide encrypted dns these days?