Excitel Broadband Ethernet Cable is LIVE!

will it help if I add a cheap router instead of a surge protector?

Excitel provided a cheap Tentis router, which I won't use for wifi.. so can I use that router to connect WAN input from Excitel and then connect one of ethernet port to my network (other routers/load balancer)? In case of lightning or current leak, I hope only the cheap router will fry and rest of the network remains safe?

Maybe, maybe not. Lightning is really unpredictable but you won't have to worry as it is not frequent in Delhi. You should however ground the cable so as the router doesn't get damaged. A ghetto way to ground an ethernet cable.

Ethernet surge protectors work by connecting the Ethernet wire to ground when there's a very high voltage in the wire. They do not do anything when there's no surge (otherwise it will affect data transmission).

You should get excitel to fix this voltage inside the wires; it might be that the wire is accidentally touching a live wire or something. Voltages inside ethernet cables should be between -2.5V and 2.5V, not higher than that.

Otherwise your ghetto way of grounding one of the wires inside the cable is the only way to protect from this. Did your equipment get damaged even with the ghetto way?

Nope, nothing gets damaged when the ghetto way is used. I found out the wire was live even through surge protector when One of the ports on my load balancer seemed to suddenly stop working for no reason.
I'm getting my connection shifted to the box closer to my home next week, will see if that fixes it.