Excessive FEC errors on Airtel VDSL2 connection (fixed)

• Thread starter Thread starter warpspeed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 8,010

warpspeed

To Infinity and Beyond!
ISP
Hathway FTTH
ACT Fibernet + Airtel Backup
qYY0lGa.png

Seeing huge amounts of Downstream FEC errors lately. There were 7.26 Million errors in the last 24 hours which comes to 83 Downstream FEC errors a second. Should I have to worry about it?

Can someone with a VDSL connection post screenshot of your line status please.

Sorry for being off topic. But What is your plan and location?

I'm from Chennai. Plan is 16 Mbps, 60GB and the rental is Rs. 799 plus taxes.

Just checked my line stats and I am seeing a lot of FEC errors as well. There was a period of time, the day before, when the net would drop out. The modem would say connected, but, pings would fail. Will restart my modem and check again tomorrow to see if the errors persist 🙂

Don't seem to be able to upload images - so, copying the fec values over.
Downstream fec is 8610638 and upstream fec is 28371

Per some online articles, FEC errors can be corrected by the modem, so, it may not be an issue...not sure

That looks normal when compared. Wiring in my home is very old, probably been there for years. Maybe that's causing a lot of errors?

Register a complaint. Why you syncing 90+ mbps when actual speed is 16+ I too am getting those errors but your are way too many.
Also no disconnection problem here. Better lodge a complaint.

Actually I'm getting solid 20 Mbps downloads and 2.5 Mbps uploads all the time. The loop is around 500 meters according to service engineer and thanks to vectoring I'm able to sync at 90+ Mbps. I have no idea why they are refusing to offer speeds greater than 16 Mbps in my area.

My connection is getting randomly disconnected. Some articles online state that the last mile wiring is the primary cause. Guess I should lodge a complaint and get that changed. Thanks all for the input.

I had FEC and CEC errors as yours on airtel VDSL. I found that these errors are caused by splitter which is provided by airtel for landline. Especially on VDSL these errors are more frequent as modems are sensitive to noise and interference. I removed the splitter and connected the line directly it reduced the FEC CEC errors for me. Also line used to disconnect a lot when there was a splitter. I complained a lot of times to airtel but their so called Engineers changed cables and everything from exchange till my place but were not able to figure this one out. Every night it used to randomly disconnect. So I decided to research on this issue myself and found in forums that ADSL splitters which are used to split the voice signal and internet cause interference and it results in large number of FEC CEC errors.

manojrk said:
Every night it used to randomly disconnect.

What used to disconnect randomly every night?

Register a complaint. Why you syncing 90+ mbps when actual speed is 16+ I too am getting those errors but your are way too many.
Also no disconnection problem here. Better lodge a complaint.
Do you really think they will change the underground wirings?

They can fetch new wire from the BLUE BOX to the Home but they never re-install new wires from the exchange to the BLUE BOX.

If you think they do change, please tell me the way because i have complaint alot.

My SNR is 6.1 on 16 MBPS and 15 on 8 MBPS Plan. (Same line, I tried it by changing the plan's speed).

How do I improve the SNR for better stability of the connection?

Also, Where do you live in Delhi?

Where did I say they'll change complete under ground wiring? Hold your excitement mate.

Yep only from blue box to adsl/vdsl splitter should be without any joint.

What used to disconnect randomly every night?

Do you really think they will change the underground wirings?

They can fetch new wire from the BLUE BOX to the Home but they never re-install new wires from the exchange to the BLUE BOX.

If you think they do change, please tell me the way because i have complaint alot.

My SNR is 6.1 on 16 MBPS and 15 on 8 MBPS Plan. (Same line, I tried it by changing the plan's speed).

How do I improve the SNR for better stability of the connection?

Also, Where do you live in Delhi?
I never said that lol. You must've misquoted me. Anyway the problem in my connection has been identified and it was indeed in the copper cable coming from DP near my home. The changed it and the connection is stable. I'm also syncing at whopping 100+ Mbps after the change.

Line status:
tzSvrY2.png

My Airtel VDSL connection was getting disconnected frequently.......then I connected the line directly to the modem disconnecting the landline telephone and the DSL splitter............after that no disconnection till now....screen shot attached........lets see......

Attachments

• deba.webp
    deba.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 263