• Views Views 3,262

msol49

Regular
ISP
HCL
ESPN under trouble for not responding to Sun Direct
TDSAT issues notice to ESPN on Sun Direct petition
Press Trust of India / New Delhi November 13, 2008, 17:23 IST
Broadcast tribunal Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) has issued notice to sports broadcaster ESPN for allegedly not providing its channels to Sun Direct, the DTH venture of South India-based Sun TV group.

Admitting the petition filed by Sun Direct, the TDSAT has directed ESPN to file its reply within a week.

In its petition, the Maran family-owned direct-to-home company contended that despite several requests, ESPN failed to provide its signals.

The DTH operator further submitted that during the negotiations ESPN put restrictive conditions such as putting its channels on the basic tier of its packages, which was violative of laws laid down by the sectoral regulator TRAI.

It was also noted by the TDSAT bench, headed by Justice Kumar, that ESPN should share its signals. After that the TDSAT Chairman gave ESPN a week for filing its reply.

The tribunal also directed the operator to file its rejoinder to ESPN's reply within two weeks.

"Let the reply be filed within one week. A rejoinder, if any, (should) be filed two days before the next date of hearing," said the TDSAT Bench.

ESPN, having three channels, ESPN, Star Sports and Star Cricket, is facing action from various authorities for allegedly violating guidelines on the pricing plan for direct-to-home operators.

TRAI has already filed a criminal case against ESPN officials and has recommended to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting the cancellation of its uplinking licence for not giving its signals to DTH operators at 50 per cent of the rate cable operators are charged in non-CAS areas.

The TDSAT has fixed November 24 for the next hearing.

TDSAT issues notice to ESPN on Sun Direct petition

So SD peoples are working to add ESS, Great news for SD viewers.

So SD peoples are working to add ESS, Great news for SD viewers.

maran brothers will always win in business race but not in political //

I am sure that before Champions league they will add ESPN.Even they will go to an extent to provide it free for the subscribers,this way they will loot some subscribers.😛Same thing happened to IPL.Now according to SD package deatils Set max is a Sports channel:madness:😱:evil::wall:

Dont mistake me guys..............i am happy that SD is not able to get ESS channels and equally unhappy that their viewers are not able to get to see ESS channels.........let them feel pinch...........i was telling you guys that i am happy since SD is not able to provide ESS channels similarly as a TS and it Customers had the same problem..........it was nearly an year where TS fought in TDSAT to get sun channels on TS platform.........that really hurted a lot of TS customers............now its pay back time for SD from ESS..........SD customers please dont take my words in other sense..........

Dont mistake me guys..............i am happy that SD is not able to get ESS channels and equally unhappy that their viewers are not able to get to see ESS channels.........let them feel pinch...........i was telling you guys that i am happy since SD is not able to provide ESS channels similarly as a TS and it Customers had the same problem..........it was nearly an year where TS fought in TDSAT to get sun channels on TS platform.........that really hurted a lot of TS customers............now its pay back time for SD from ESS..........SD customers please dont take my words in other sense..........

But ESPN can never be a substitute for Sun TV in Tamilnadu.

I would never miss ESPN the way I miss Sun, even though I am a cricket fan.

I agree with you and you may be interested more in sun tv more than ESPN but when for a customers options are available to them that both SUN TV and ESS are available in other DTH some might go with that rather than to take SD.......SD is not bothered about customers like who has got more interest in Sun TV than ESS but their focus is not customers like. Now their focus is that for those customers in TN and other STATES who are wanted to have both Sun TV and ESS channels........😀. If they wanted to gain market share in north india then of course they need Hindi and Sports channels.........

Being a DTH Subscriber, I am not misisng anything from last week:dance:

Having both cable and DTH i dont miss anyting in Tamil Channels and other channels too............

I agree with you and you may be interested more in sun tv more than ESPN but when for a customers options are available to them that both SUN TV and ESS are available in other DTH some might go with that rather than to take SD.......

SD is not bothered about customers like who has got more interest in Sun TV than ESS but their focus is not customers like. Now their focus is that for those customers in TN and other STATES who are wanted to have both Sun TV and ESS channels........😀.

If they wanted to gain market share in north india then of course they need Hindi and Sports channels.........

My comment was only about you mentioning 'pay back time'. IMO, it won't work that way.

Without ESPN, SD, presumably, has got more than a million in Tamilnadu alone. How many TS had when Sun network was not with them.

So its no way a pay back of sorts.

If they wanted to gain market share in north india then of course they need Hindi and Sports channels.........

Sports channels are equally important for south indian too...Hindi channels the fact remains not even 10% of south indians turn to it unless something spl...

As far as espn controversy is concern still if they dont respond not it will be the turn of I&B Ministry sending out from the country itself...Since their pricing and approach has reached discussion at parliament itself... I dont think SD viewers will get affected the reach at which TS viewers got affected having cable or CAS and TS at several places, bcoz of non availability of SUN... I think SD Viewers missed one cricket series bcoz of the same, and hope they will get b4 champions league

I hope you guys get ESS channels on or before Champions league:thumbsup: by which you guys can support Chennai Super kings.........😀