ESPN India to be rebranded as Fox Sports

• Thread starter Thread starter anubhav11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 5,885
These things are unrelated. Also, nothing is confirmed or finalized yet.

yes these are.... star tv is looking at more profitable options..where news channels in india are not allowed more than 26% share by a foreign company,so not much profit but here sports channels have more scope that is why the bcci rights where bought only by star not espn-star jv...and star wanted to stop Sony's monopoly after ipl if they won bcci rights, but sony came second only to star's bid...The one thing is CONFIRMED that they do not want to work together.

Shudnt ESPN b doing a tit for tat with Star? They should have got these rights individually and not as a JV! And may be even the EPL rights whenever they were to be renewed!

From what I understand, the JV & the Star group are two different entities. Star India bought the India Cricket rights, the people from Star who are part of the JV did not. I think ESPN-Star JV did not even participate. But yes the parent company ESPN could have jumped in & bid separately , but I guess why would they fight against themselves in the JV.

- - - Updated - - -

India matches could come on ESPN-Star, but they would come under some deal with Star India.

- - - Updated - - -

I am actually thinking that Star India did a huge mistake in buying the rights at such a huge premium, because not only they need to conjure up profits, but they would need to share them with ESPN-Star JV.

Maybe, Star India entered anticipating a split in the near future. But as such, with the English deal and no other info coming out, do not see that happening for another year.

Star already set star cricket and other sports channel where as espn seems more depending on jv as don't see such channel's from them

Well, it will not be too difficult for them to start a channel for them at any point. The question will be about content split up.

That will always be there. So will that mean the useless ESPNews will also go off? If its a non compete clause, then it should apply to that channel as well!

I haven't seen the channel, but is it Asia based? Is it part of the JV? If so, then maybe yes. If not, then no, because ESPN has lots of other sporting channels & stuff across the World

Dont know where its based, but its there for sure. Its there in D2h. And its a total waste of a channel IMO. Even if its not of the JV, i dont think ESPN will have the permission to operate independently in India......or will they?

I do not know how it works, but I am saying, as long it as not part of the JV, the status does not change, in other words it can continue. Sports channel have more leeway I believe & hence ESPN can probably pick up some other junior partner & launch. But since Star is buying them out (Maybe some big $$$), they are highly likely to have a clause which will say that ESPN will not try launching channel in India for specified duration or will not try to compete for rights existingly held by the JV etc.

Why would that happen? They would probably rename it to Star Prime, Star Sports+, Star Action Sports or something of that sort.