Error In Session History

• Thread starter Thread starter dandy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 3,130

dandy

ISP
mtnl
Hi all,In my session usage log for february 07, on the 12the feb there are 2 entries with exactly the same time. the login and logout for both the entries are exactly the same. Only the download MB differs. the login time was about 3 hours and i remember specifically that i have checked mail, personal and company. What is shocking is the download for one entry shows 620 MB and the other over 128 MB.The session entry is as given below...Start Date End Date Quantity Billed (MB) Download Bytes Upload Bytes12/Feb/2007 11:47:06 12/Feb/2007 15:11:46 620.5673 650711977.1648 34796766 12/Feb/2007 11:47:06 12/Feb/2007 15:11:46 128.3414 134575761.8352 34796766since the midnight of 12 the Feb, I have been trying to call the help desk and they told me to call in the morning as they do not have access to the usage in the night.The next day, i had a horrific time calling them. I would have called them at least 5 - 8 times and had to hold for a very long time each time and the system would tell me to book a complaint as all the agents are busy.on the 14th Feb I called up at 5.30 a.m. and I got through and was told that as they do not have access to billing, I should call the billing section after 10 a.m. I was given a new number 1662 for the billing.I called up billing at 10.30 a.m. and i was told they they have nothing to do with Internet usage and they handle only billing and that i should call the helpdesk to sort out the problem.The passed by trying the helpdesk and i gave up after a couple of tries.On the 16th I called help desk and explained the problem to the agent and he told me that their server had a virus attack on the 12 feb and it was down and he cannot access the usage info as engineers were working on restoring the server. i was asked to check the next day.On the 17th Feb i called up again as I was loosing patience, and they told me that all the usage reports comes to them from the local exchange and I would have to visit the local exchange and sort out the problem.I visited the local exchange and one gentleman eagerly attended to me. After I explained him the whole story he told me that he had just joined that day and he had no idea, what needs to be done and he asked me to wait for a lady who was not at her seat. After waiting for half hour for the concerned lady to come by, she was kind enough to listen to the story from me and told me that I need to see the Billing in charge of the exchange and directed me to him. He was not on his seat too and his secretary asked me what the problem was. So for the fourth time in the day I explained her the problem and she said that I must have downloaded simultaneously from two different sites and hence there were two entries.She had no clues what she was talking and I was on the verge of snapping and I politely told her not to put her foot in her mouth if she does not know what she is talking. She told me nothing can be done as it is possible to download from two different sites and stuck to her guns.I told her that with th 590 NU plan the bandwidth is still 512k in mumbai and all other plans have 2 mbps. It is practically impossible to download over 750 mb of data over 3 hrs with this speed.Dear friends, what do you think I should be doing to these people?And which tree should i be barking at. And how is it possible to put some sense into people who do not know the basic principles of the Internet workings?Any valuable suggestion on guiding me on the next course of action would be highly appreciated.regardsDandy

i guess you've done the best you could...or you can talk to the person whose secretary u talked to... -_-if that doesn't help, go directly to the MTNL headoffice in CP and talk to the GM there...he should solve your issue...

well i dont think password change is a solution with port binding on.even if any1 knows passwd max they can do is check the usage or mtnl mailor change passwd. but they cant use internet using that password.

Even I have faced session times clashing, but problem was never so serious... The MTNL bandwidth meter's are crap. And more crappier is their time. Always keeps fluctuating. Never synced with IST. Anyways, all you can do is contact GM - He's my father's childhood friend. Just tell him you know me 😉 .

Hi all,I called up the GM broadbands office this morning and spoke to a lady who answered the phone and asked her if she was a technical person. She answered in the negative, but was willing to listen to my problem and promised that a technical person would call and explain to me the sessions history.Although, she could not promise any time frame to the call, promptly within 5 mins she called me and told me that there must have been a temporary disconnection at the server end and that may have caused the second entry. I again had to ask her whether she knows the concept of IP and DHCP and router technology, she immediately put me on hold and I was surprised to hear Mr. Peeyush Agarwal, GM triband Mumbai on the line.I requested him to first listen to me for 2 minutes and voice his views after I finish and he was very polite.I put forward the logic, that with a 256 kbps connection it is possible to download / upload a maximum of 100 MB per hour, so the 3 hours in question here would mean that 300 MB would be downloaded. He agreed to that.Secondly, if the router or server drops connection for any reason, the router has to go through the entire process of looking for a new IP from their DHCP server and that would mean a new session logged with new timing. He agreed to this too.Third, if the above two were correct, then the possible second entry with the similar timing should not appear at any cost. He agreed and requested me to send him a mail and told me that the same would be rectified and that he would reply back to me.The downfall of this call was, i checked the router settings and found the connection is now at 256 kbps in the adsl setting. Both upstream / downstream are at 256.

QUOTE(Apoorv Khatreja @ Feb 19 2007, 12:31 AM) [snapback]80447[/snapback]
Even I have faced session times clashing, but problem was never so serious...
The MTNL bandwisth meter's are crap. And more crappier is their time. Always keeps fluctuating. Never synced with IST.
Anyways, all you can do is contact GM - He's my father's childhood friend. Just tell him you know me 😉 .[/b]

apoorv

GM mumbai or Delhi?

QUOTE(dandy @ Feb 19 2007, 02:55 PM) [snapback]80496[/snapback]
..snip...

... she immediately put me on hold and I was surprised to hear Mr. Peeyush Agarwal, GM triband Mumbai on the line.[/b]

Welcome to "MTNL hai to sahi hai" land. I too have had a similar experience with the gentleman mentioned. He does listen but do not hold your breath for complete relief. Nov/Dec 2005, I got screwed with hefty "over usage" amounts. I showed him my usage data 6 months a priori as well as 3 months after which never exceeded the monthly quota and requested for a detailed usage report during the months. Needless, to say I never received the data and in the end had no choice but to pay the bill since non payment would result in line disconnection.

BTW, the last couple of days I have noticed that downloads during NU hours are showing up in the session details counted against the 1G monthly quota. Anybody else noticed this anomaly on their session detail reports? Also, the option of "previous" month's report has been removed under "session history"

17/Feb/2007 05:59:53 17/Feb/2007 08:01:17 13.1252
19/Feb/2007 06:00:03 19/Feb/2007 08:01:27 16.4736

QUOTE(knura @ Feb 20 2007, 12:15 AM) [snapback]80558[/snapback]
17/Feb/2007 05:59:53 17/Feb/2007 08:01:17 13.1252
19/Feb/2007 06:00:03 19/Feb/2007 08:01:27 16.4736[/b]

This are usage lines for data downloaded after 8 AM. i.e. for 1m:17s and 1m:27s.
And its possible do download 13mb and 16mb if u have 2mbps NU.

sync ur clock to mtnl or disconnect at abt 7:55AM

OK, I'll go with MTNL's "sahi" clock and my computer clock out of sync but I never rebooted the modem @ about 06:00 hours in the two entries in question. Also, there was no power outage; it would have shown up in my UPS monitor alarm logs. DSL modem is set to "always connected" Is MTNL resetting the PPPoE connection randomly?I try to account for the time difference between MTNL's clock and IST. On my system a cron entry kills all "download" clients @ 07:55 hours. So the current skew between MTNL's clock and IST is about 6 mins.

yes modem might have got disconnected at 6 or so. its possible.
not necessarily that mtnl disconnects u but it can be temporary
problem. i have noticed disconnection too at night.

as far as i have noticed MTNL time difference IST by just abt 30 second.
i suppose time is reported by exchange to central server.
so each exchange might have time difference.

Confirm ur pc time and time from link below:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=44

QUOTE(Amish @ Feb 21 2007, 07:42 AM) [snapback]80661[/snapback]
... snip ...
as far as i have noticed MTNL time difference IST by just abt 30 second.
i suppose time is reported by exchange to central server.
so each exchange might have time difference.

Confirm ur pc time and time from link below:
[/b]

How do you determine that MTNL time diff with IST is about 30 secs?

As for my PC time, it is within +- 3 seconds of IST. I run a cron job to synchronize the kernel clock (and hardware clock), with one of NTP servers (0.asia.pool.ntp.org, 1.asia.pool.ntp.org, 2.asia.pool.ntp.org, 3.asia.pool.ntp.org) every 6 hours and my timezone is set to IST.

During daytime (not betn 12AM to 8AM) goto this site:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=44

You shud be using bridged mode. Note your current time,
note IST time (from site above) and immediately disconnect.

Now reconnect and go to MTNL usage site and check
the end time of the last session. That wud tell u how much
ur sytem clock or IST time differs from MTNL's