Engineering dilemma

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr.Outlaw
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 49
  • Views Views 12,496
Oh Yes .. See bro you can leaen programming during your engineering as part time course from some good institute and it will be added advantage. CS is not a good choice as you will be limited to do programming in first 5 year after that you can be real software engineer not to mention that you have to continuously update with coming technology changes and learn new languages every 2 or 3 year. I am stopping myself here as battery is dying.

ok iCon.That's what I thought of CS.Did a bit of research and found there are quite a few programming languages but almost all are easy to master if we know C/C++ and currently something called "Python" is the latest programming lol.I think EC is what I'll choose. Will try for better coll or stick to the one I got in the next round.

If you live in Mumbai then I can safely tell you that you have one more year to make a choice. First year of engineering is common for all branches, and you can change your branch before the start of the second year. 🙂BTW you need to clear all subjects and need to have an overall aggregate of 60% to be eligible for a transfer.

The 1st year course is same for all engineering fields here too.But the % required is quite high and change of course is very difficult to do here.

@outlaw.. Learning or getting expertise in any language is different from becoming master of the language imo.

@ Abishek it is dependent on few factors.1.)There should be a vacant seat to the course which we want to move to.2.)We should have highest marks in the 1st year exam within the entire college or somewhere at the top(if we get lucky)3.)Request a transfer of branch(others would too) and the one with highest marks gets the transfer.Am I clear or do you have any doubts regarding this?And yes i agree to that iCon but here in India experts are generally not required right?They need people who can code an efficient(less lines) program than some expert but yes experts are required too but only for certain top companies which the majority won't get.

If you are doing EC then, I believe, at some point of time you will learn C/C++, Unix and a few other things related to CS in it as well in the form of some subjects in curriculum.

A good Electronic engineer can always look for a job in companies that design chips etc. and these type of jobs tend to pay a very high salary to good engineers. There are many MNCs like Qualcomm, Texas Instruments, ST Microelectronics, Infineon etc that are doing that kind of work in their development centres in India now a days BUT these companies typically look for engineers from top class institutions like IITs only when they are recruiting freshers.

A CS degree holder may not try for jobs in chip design or electronic components design companies but there are more companies in India that are looking for programmers than there are companies that are looking for engineers for IC design work.

It comes down to this: Are you getting admission in a top class institution (like IIT or Delhi College of Engineering and such) with well established reputation in India as well as abroad? If yes, then go for EC. If you are getting admission in an institution that is not among the top tier institutions, then go for CS because you will find it easy to get a job after completing your degree.

Also, look at the past 2-3 year's placement track record of the institution you are getting in. Which companies have offered jobs in campus interviews and what kind of salaries they were offering to hire candidates from your college? That will tell you a lot about what to do.

PS: I did 3 years diploma in Production Engineering from a polytechnic in Delhi. Completed in 1994 and have been running my own software development business (catering to overseas clients) since last over 10 years.

The college I'm joining ain't any IIT or DTU/NSIT/NIT's or any other top college.The college I join comes around the 8th to 10th best college in my region but that college is the sister institute of the 2nd/3rd best college in my region and the placements are kinda joint so I have chances to get good EC core companies itself.Not qualcomm or those but 1 student was intern at Intel and got placed at caterpillar company(not sure which domain's company this is lol).Microsoft,Adobe,Yahoo also visit and some have been placed there with 10+L salary.Two EC student also got placed at Microsoft and Adobe.So topweb,mhsabir and others what do you think is better EC here or CS/IT?

I would say Topweb has given some pretty good suggestion. You can go with that. For CS. Its pretty clear if you can get into the big league of Microsoft & Google etc , then nothing like it. If you are going to end up at TCS etc, then you need to be prepared to battle your way up (quality work-wise). CS overall has more opportunities within the industry. You can get into EC if you like & "maybe" end up at a CS job. But I will not recommend it simply as a route to a CS job because I personally dont feel its morally right.

The college I'm joining ain't any IIT or DTU/NSIT/NIT's or any other top college.The college I join comes around the 8th to 10th best college in my region but that college is the sister institute of the 2nd/3rd best college in my region and the placements are kinda joint so I have chances to get good EC core companies itself.Not qualcomm or those but 1 student was intern at Intel and got placed at caterpillar company(not sure which domain's company this is lol).
Microsoft,Adobe,Yahoo also visit and some have been placed there with 10+L salary.
Two EC student also got placed at Microsoft and Adobe.

So topweb,mhsabir and others what do you think is better EC here or CS/IT?

Caterpillar is an American company and it makes heavy trucks, cranes and excavation equipment that is used by mining and construction companies.

Go for CS. That is what I'd do if I had the opportunity that you have. Learn C/C++/Unix/Java/Database (Oracle and MySQL etc.) and you will definitely get a job immediately after completing your degree. There are so many MNCs now a days looking for programmers with just 2-4 years of experience. You MAY have to join a small and lesser known company for 2-4 years after completing your CS degree and once you have 2-4 years of experience, you will have plenty of opportunities to join best known MNCs that pay very well.

Another point: Whatever you may decide to do, EC or CS, don't stop your education after completing bachelor's degree. Enroll for part-time MCA or MBA along with your job and that will enhance your chances of progressing in career at a much faster pace.

I will try to do post graduate at an even better institute or do MBA by giving CAT.Will try for civil service by giving IAS too.We can do MCA after engineering eh?Thought only BCA students were allowed for MCA.Oh and like I said earlier I didn't like data base management system much when I had it in XI and XII.Is it a must in resume for CS jobs Topweb? @mhsabir I understand your statement but like you had earlier said the quality of those doing CS isn't that good so other field engineers are getting a chance to take their jobs.

Nopes.. Bachelor degree is enough I believe. I had Bsc.Physics & Mathematcis classmates, I have heard of Arts students also doing MCA through correspondence. The system is bad that causes these problems. Its a %age issue(Less %age of Bsc/BCA graduates seem to be good enough). And in many colleges below average students are able to take these BCA/BSc degrees & scrap though in college. But the smaller %age of people who are good, but were unable to do Engineering due to various reasons are stuck in other jobs.DBMS - You need to understand DB concepts, its a must. But I think, in college its thought as a dry subject & is usually boring. The practical application & knowledge (better than what is thought in college) is a must to be a good developer or to be in IT in general.

Yeah it was pretty lame teaching for DBMS in my XI and XII so just thinking how horrible it'd be doing that lol.C or other languages isn't required in IT eh?Also do Indian IT's just do like backup for foreign companies or do some work which actually makes some softwares. Also any link is there in gaming engines,graphics and CS engineering eh?Or does that go to Animation part?