Enabling bridge mode in Nokia router provided by ACT Fibernet

• Thread starter Thread starter Yash Yuvan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 7,350
ISP
ACT Fibernet
I was provided with a Nokia G140W-C by ACT Fibernet. I was getting signal drops and less range than my D-Link router from my secondary network.

So I want bridge the Nokia router to a TP-Link router and use it as my main router without creating additional SSIDs. Has anyone ever done this before, and any idea on how to do this ?

Do you recommend me calling an executive to do this procedure or is it possible for me to do it myself ?

Thanks once again guys...

If you have a user id and password and also any details like Vlan in Nokia Router, you may need the same to configure the router in Bridge.

Can you tell what I am doing is right ?

I enable bridge mode on all LAN Ports. Then I connect an ethernet cable from the Nokia to my new TP-Link WAN port.

What settings do I need to change so that NAT capabilities of the Nokia is disabled and only the TP Link has NAT capabilities ?

You can just use your own router instead of ACT provided router. Connect ACT cable to WAN port of your router and configure the pppoe connection on your router and it will work just fine.

What I am suggesting is, just don't use your Nokia router at all. Directly connect ACT cable to your router and configure PPPOE on your router itself. You can just disconnect Nokia router and keep it aside.

@gopichandpai My ACT connection is fiber optic. So an ONT router is required to use the internet in my region. The process you are telling is the standard in major cities and is also provided by ACT. But in my city, ACT uses an ONT router as a work-around for the time being.

Thank you for your response btw.

So guys, I bought a TP-Link Archer A6 AC1200 for bridging the router. ACT Fibernet had locked the bridge capability of all LAN ports, so I just connected the ethernet cable in port 1. I was not able to configure the router in PPPOE because the password ACT gave me was wrong 🙁

So I selected Dynamic IP as the auto-detect feature suggested it for me. Now I have disabled the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands in the Nokia GPON. So I only have wireless internet from the TP-Link

I have some concerns though:
1) Will Dynamic IP affect my performance (If yes, then I need to get the correct password from ACT)
2) Will connecting the TP Link router without bridge mode reduce performance and speed ?

I have tested the WIFI multiple times and I am getting the same speed. But far far better range in the TP-Link. I have noticed a speed drop in the 2.4 Ghz band even near the router and ping has increased from 11-12 to 16-18 consistently. Is there any problem with my configuration ?

Please help. Sorry for the long message

Dynamic IP would put you in a Double NAT which will give you a hard time in using NAT demanding applications like games.Other than that it works just fine . But it is advised to put it in bridge mode

I think doing a Inspect element can help you in obtaining the User ID and Password