Dual Installation of Win xp and Win Vista

• Thread starter Thread starter donnie_b2008
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 6,140

donnie_b2008

ISP
none
HiI have a laptop with windows vist home premium preloaded.My old desktop had Windows xp prof . Now i want dual booting. Can i proceed like this.I format the entire drive. Load XP with the Bootable Windows Xp Installation CD on on one partition . Then I run the recovery Disks and load The vista on another partition .( i have a question here , i dont know whether with recovery disk i get to choose where i will install Windows Vista ).Then i run EasyBCD or a softwre like that to register both the OS in Boot Loader.Thanks

almost all the laptops which comes pre-loaded with vista are OEM versions which will not allow you to install another OS because these OEM versions have their genuine authenticity information stored in a hidden sector on hard disc & if you partition the hard drive after getting the laptop using another disc that information will be lost & your vista will become a trial version.that is why companies like Dell offered & charge Rs.400 extra if you want a primary partition,say,40GB, so that you can make image of that primary partition after installing your programs & then whenever you have to format you can use the backup image of partition to restore your OS with all the installed programs in a few minutes otherwise you have to make the image of your entire laptop hard disc of 160GB because OEM version will always format the whole hard disc & then only it will proceed.this is also why OEM version is much cheaper than retail version which does not have any such restrictions.

so what someone would do if the OS corrupts ?Running recovery disk (actually they provide a partition for recovery , no dvd)or running vista disk ?

/members/mrbgupta/
I think it is equivalent to sfc /scannow for XP or repair option. . Protected system files are rechecked/reinstalled. updated Drivers etc , you may have to redownload from manufacturer's web sites.
Having two OS in the SAME harddisk , is risky as once the HD crashes both are lost !

Para two : This article may be of interest. creating a bootable disk in USB for XP.
You may have to register at the site.
Illustrated walk-through: Creating a bootable USB flash drive for Windows XP, from Greg Shultz - Downloads - TechRepublic

IT Dojo: Create your own bootable USB flash drive for Windows XP | Online videos for busy IT professionals | TechRepublic Video VIDEO

@essbebe,the recovery disc is different from Vista DVD & it can not be used for repairing as the method suggested by you in your first post in this thread.here is a detailed link of the knowhow---
PC World Community: Dual-Booting with a Laptop ...
yeah, that's usually the case with the newest PCs. But even then, that will be an OEM-specific system
recovery CD/DVD - not a Windows Vista installation/recovery disc; and
can usually only be used to wipe your system clean and start again from
scratch - it doesn't give you the option of actually repairing your Windows installation.*

/\ I read that on the EasyBCD forum, and that's why I want the vista dvd. so i found a specialized recovery dvd microsoft released here.

now that i have the vista recovery dvd, i think i'm ready to use the steps presented here

i think my problem's solved.

i don't have a Dell laptop but i have seen the OEM's/recovery discs of HP-COMPAQ desktops & laptops & how they work & the working procedure is pretty much same for all preloaded OS.usually dell's recovery discs will have a BIOS lock which will prevent users to install the OS on another laptop/computer of different make but you may use it on another same model/configuration laptop i think but not sure.also dell gives you a option for Rs.400-500 to partition your hard disc into 2 with C drive as 40GB which in my view is a must have option.also recovery disc is different from an actual OEM install disc but you have to clear it from dell whether they will provide you with a restore disc or an actual VISTA OEM install disc.PS--mrbgupta,i gave above info on my assumption.if you want some other information i will be glad to help.

@members/whitestar_999/ .
clearly shows i have no idea about Vista/recovery disk/dvd etc, but gave some informtion/link to thread starter. for procedure for dual boot. to @members/donnie_b2008/, so that he follows correct procedure.
Even one OS xp pro Sp2 ( waiting for update with Sp3 ) is too much for me !!!!
I had great problem to validate my original XP Pro CD, when I replaced a crashed Hard disk,with new one and rebooted the OS.
Any backup/dualboot/etc in same HARDdisk is risky.
The thread has been "hijacked" By @mrbgupta!
Please continue in Software discussions forum.

@members/whitestar_999/Please add the member's name , to draw his attention, when the thread has too many postings.Your directions/suggestions are meant for him. ( for me it is more Info/links to be added to Favorites for future use )The original thread starter has to respond. Whichever link he finds useful (given in Post NO 3 or No 6 repeated in No 10 .) for Dual boot please wait for feedback.As long his problem is solved everyone is happy.

I have not ''hijacked'' this thread !Even I am also looking to install dual OS in a Dell laptop.I just asked for any first hand experience !This thread should be moved to appropriate section.

mrbgupta,you can install 2 OS in Dell laptop provided you have an actual vista install dvd not a recovery disc.if you got 2 discs & one contains drivers then i think first disc would be an install disc.to be sure explore the disc in question.then in my post no.6 in this thread method is given along with how to do it if you have a recovery disc only & not actual install disc too.