• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 5,122

anu

Regulars
ISP
mtnl triband
hi,
Yesterday I installed Suse 10.3 on my system, to dual boot with the existing Windows XP Pro SP2 installation.I am not able to boot into suse,I am getting an error screen with

Code:
rootverify (hd0,8)chain (hd0,1)+1 NTLDR is missing, Press Ctrl-Alt_Del to restart.
GRUB bootloader screen
suse
windows 1 //win xp
windows 2 //suse
floppy
As suse did'nt boot I inserted suse DVD,and then went for the repair option
but then i got an weird error msg "there is some problem with the installation"

My windows boot.ini file looks like this
Code:
[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
so some changes need to be made in boot.ini file
Can someone pinpoint what are changes need to be made to boot.ini file

Don't know what changes you need to make to the grub menu listing. But I am sure of one thing. You need not make any changes in the boot.ini file. That file is related to Windows and comes into play when multiple Windows versions are installed on the same computer.

This - Triple Boot Vista,XP,Suse 10.2 Grub Can't Load Windows - LinuxQuestions.org is a similar problem with the exception being the fellow can't boot into Windows. I don't know how the converse is true in your case.

this is what suprises me.I also some google links where ppl where not able to boot into linux in a multiboot os setup.Mine case is exactly the reverse.Thanks for the link.

i dont want to format my linux partition and start linux installation again.Any other way out?

I think you are a fan of Suse.🙂I recommended you to try Ubuntu 7.10. It is simple and powerful. Otherwise, try to repair the existing suse installation using another suse setup dvd.

ok right now i have uninstalled suse and using xp prof.Will try to get another suse dvd setup.

I dint get one thing-- How on earth is grub asking for NTLDR while booting SUSE?? I guess the rootverify command is for windows patitions only!! Probably, the intallation of grub or SUSE is messed up. You could have tried reinstalling grub.

Last week I installed SuSe 10.3 & XP on Vista. Since every installation is different, its difficult to tell the problem. If partitions are proper, grub will work correctly.If you are using grub boot leader, I can suggest this:1. try df -h and find the Linux & Windows partitions2. now edit grub.conf and put those values.Using NT bootloader is a bit more complicated. Do a search if you want take this option. But even here, you should be able to boot to linux before you make the setting in boot.ini

@allAs i was not able to get it working on my pc i uninstalled Suse.@firearm12that is what was bafflling me?.I Tried to find the solution via google but ultimately had to give up.Before insatlling suse i did a checksum check everything was fine.