• Thread starter Thread starter dragonball
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 6,718

dragonball

ߪδə ЩªĻª
ISP
Airtail
hello friends, I want to install fedora 6 with vista to create a dual boot system on my laptop. When I insert fedora 6 dvd it does not recognize the hdd. What are the steps to be followed to install it properly. If it takes to remove vista and put XP I am ready to do so.please guide. thanks.

do you have a newer sata hdd? maybe fc6 is old enough to only recognise pata hdds and not sata. i wonder if that is the problem. why do you want to run old fc6. wait for the latest fedora 8 coming november 8th. or if you dont mind trying other distros, i recommend ubuntu 7.10 coming next week 🙂

looks like a problem with fedora 6 or probably your bootloader isnt configured correctly , wait for fedora 8 as vishal pointed out or if u want to try any other distro try OpenSuse , Ubuntu or Sabayon or you can try a fedora derivative like Berry Linux or Vixta

I am sure that fedora core 6 detects sata drives with no problem . Are you using some kind of hardware raid ? Exactly where does your setup stops , is it that the partitioning program doesnt detects ur hdd ?

ya, search online. i recall some forum posts about dvd not recognising hdd, and the need to provide kernel boot params such as ide=0x123 etc...especially for Sony dvd drives

i installed windows xp and fedora 13 in my system. I used xp as my default boot. Both of them were worked properly. A problem is occured in xp so i formatted the drive. After reinstalling the xp, Fedora13 is not booting. And i don't know how to boot it. But the fedora13 drive is not formatted. anyone please tell me the solution of the problem........

i installed windows xp and fedora 13 in my system. I used xp as my default boot. Both of them were worked properly. A problem is occured in xp so i formatted the drive. After reinstalling the xp, Fedora13 is not booting. And i don't know how to boot it. But the fedora13 drive is not formatted. anyone please tell me the solution of the problem........

Your problem is the bootloader. This happens when you reinstall Windows because Windows is a bit of a pig when it comes to playing nicely with other OSes on partitions it doesn't recognize - even today it assumes that it is the one and only system.

You'd think that they could have changed this behaviour around 2001 or even 2006 when Linux began having a relatively significant following but nooooooooo.

Anyway, all you need to do is boot Fedora from the DVD and in to the rescue mode and reinstall grub in to the master boot record - I forget the exact commands, but there are plenty of tutorials around the internet on how to do this.

chroot /mnt/sysimagegrub-install /dev/sdathis is assuming rescue mode mounts auto-detected Fedora partition at /mnt/sysimageand harddisk is sda