• Thread starter Thread starter ajuravi007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 48
  • Views Views 8,990

ajuravi007

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
NEW DELHI: Get ready to shell out more for your direct-to-home (DTH) service if you want to watch the new and upcoming channels. DTH players will charge you extra if you want channels such as Neo Sports, NDTV Good times and Bindaas. Besides, you will also have to pay an extra amount to watch the southern channels.

For instance, Tata Sky subscribers who want to watch the India-Pakistan one day internationals and test series on Neo will have to buy the Nimbus package at Rs 199 per annum. Tata Sky is also offering this package at Rs 149 per annum for subscribers who sign up before the month end.

Similarly, despite Tata Sky reaching an agreement with the Sun Group some months ago, channels offered by the latter are not part of the two popular packages offered by Tata Sky — Super Saver Pack (Rs 300 per month) and Family Pack (Rs 250 per month). The option is the subscribe to the South Starter Pack at Rs 200 per month, South Value pack which costs Rs 300 per month or the South Jumbo pack that comes at Rs 350 per month.

Similarly, Dish TV’s two most popular packages — Dish Maxi (Rs 262 per month) and Dish Welcome (Rs 300 per month) — do not include the channels offered by the Sun Group. Customers must pay an additional Rs 50 for channels offered by the Sun Group. Besides, a Dish Maxi subscriber does not have access to the major business channels such as NDTV Profit and CNBC, many kids channels such as Pogo, Toon Disney, Hungama, Animax, Nick, Boomerang and Disney and movie channels such as Star Movies and HBO.

Put simply, DTH customers are increasingly finding that with the channels of their choice spread across different packs, they may have to subscribe to more than one package offered by their service provider. This implies, the DTH bills are no longer the flat monthly amount they started out with.

On the contrary, DTH operators, however, say that he move to offer different packages only offers more choice to their subscribers. “We have received constant feedback from consumers that they wanted a choice in the kind of channels they wanted.

So on one hand our customers in the South only want to subscribe to channels relevant to them for which we charge a flat monthly rate of Rs 200. On the other hand, if a consumer wants the additional channels he will have to pay for it. So I don’t think we have hiked prices — we are only offering additional channels at an additional price,

Tata Sky’s chief marketing officer Vikram Mehra said. Adds Dish TV vice-president (marketing) Anjali Nanda: “We have made several packages ranging from Rs 100 to Rs 300. We have got content on our platform by paying a hefty price and we therefore cannot absorb the entire cost. However, the consumer has choice to pick and choose a particular channel. It’s not true that are average revenue per user is always high, it depends on case-to-case and region-to-region basis”.

DTH googly: Consumers to pay more for new channels- Entertainment-Media / Entertainment -News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

what a crappy life.it is indeed very sad that they want us to pay for each channel we want but they wont let us not pay for channels which we dont want!

what a crappy life.

it is indeed very sad that they want us to pay for each channel we want but they wont let us not pay for channels which we dont want!
I hope things changes when new rules comes into force on december 7th :thumbsup:

DTH is slowly becoming a costlier affiar even for the upper middle class community. Thats not a good sign. The TRAI should mandate for a-la-carte pricing for each channel. That way we can pick and choose what we want to watch rather than buying whatever DTH operator makes as a package. I hope this is also covered in the regulations due to come in to effect from Dec. 1

When will reliance and airtel launch their dth services due to them they could reduce th cost. Now its becoming costlier now a days. These people will force us to take all the channels by paying them annual subscription:wall:like neo sports.

i logged in at 10am to post this news but to my suprise "jjvj was banned till 2 days" so i did not understand what to do....... so now i created this temporary id and posted...... anyhow thanks aju for posting this thread.. :thumbsup: there is also another news will find it and let u know... i just closed that page..

Dream about the day when you get FTA channels for say 100/- pm plus Rs 5 per pay channel you need. Then only life will become jingalala... 🙂

It shouldn't be Rs. 5 per channel, since its applicable to cable networks. It should be less than that for DTH.

i logged in at 10am to post this news but to my suprise "jjvj was banned till 2 days" so i did not understand what to do....... so now i created this temporary id and posted......

anyhow thanks aju for posting this thread.. :thumbsup: there is also another news will find it and let u know... i just closed that page..
are you really jjvj.😕

trai has set some specifications for dth service providers. the one i am interested in is returning the hardware to get a refund.

Its time to force these DTH players to provide channel on la carte basis
This will happen at some point of time. We need to wait for that.

What is the rent paid by the DTH provider (Tata Sky or dishtv) for the transponders? I understand, the tv channels have to pay Rs. 25 lakhs to Prasarbharati (reduced progressively from one crore), for uplinking on DD direct. If the TV channels have ads built in, how does tatasky/dishtv can generate additional revenue? The revenue they collect from value added services must be a pittance.