DSL and internet is dropping after few minutes

• Thread starter Thread starter doctorhouse
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 2,911
Now from 11:30PM my DSL and internet has started to off again. RSS errors are showing as you can see on the screenshot attached.

I assume your ADSL filter is in place and the connections have been plugged in correctly to both outputs i.e. one to the telephone and one to the modem.

Other than that, the carrier drop is a classic sign of noise on the line. I used to face this issue on and off with my BSNL connection back in the days. Pick up the telephone receiver and hear for static or other noise. If it is inaudible press any # on the dial pad so the dial tone goes off (it assumes you are dialling a telephone #) and listen for hum/static.

Generally during the monsoons water seeps into the cables and causes problems. If this doesn't resolve itself soon you need to contact BSNL and have them do a line test and switch the line pair that connects to your place. Only BSNL can resolve this.

It is a line problem. How far are you from bsnl exchange? Ask them to change the pair of your connection. There are probably some loose or bad joints in the wire. Your telephone should also pick up disturbance during this time.

It's around 1 km away. I have asked and they changed pair and port so many times. I didn't have telephone as it's of no use.

Then probably the problem is from drop wire to the bsnl distribution box. See if you can check that for cracks etc. Check your internal wiring for loose joints then.. and as @C3PO mentioned check your adsl filter is connected properly.

ADSL filter has been removed by line man few days ago. He is running it directly as I don't have telephone to use.

QDyJmd7.png

As you can see SNR has been dropped now like before it gets fixed by changing pair where I get around 15 dB. There is no drop in DSL or internet light though.

Your modem will keep working until snr drop below 8. Still you have rs uncorrectable error. Its definitely your line. I have a snr of 16 which never goes down. And have 0 errors even if i keep modem on for days. Have problems with lines myself but they rectify it and one of the most easy way for a consumer to know about fault in the line is to have a telephone set, it will have that static or humming sound to confirm the line problem. I have the same modem.

ADSL filter has been removed by line man few days ago. He is running it directly as I don't have telephone to use.

When did the issue start? Was it around the time the lineman removed the ADSL filter? If yes, you may ask him to put it back. It is definitely useful, even if we don't use a telephone.

Ideally, the line rate should be constant. However, it can vary at times, such as when there is a windy-condition, especially with a long drop-wire.

Please try to lower the line rate from 10mbps to something like 8mbps or even 6mbps. This improves the stability by improving SNR ratio. Just for the records, my line rate is approximately 5mbps (or 6016kbps to be precise). SNR is 25.2 db and the exchange is approximately 1km from here. However, the actual wire goes through multiple streets in a zigzag manner. And then, there is a drop-wire of approximate 100 meters (it is a very long wire). So, my SNR drops a lot with high winds. Yet, I get a stable connection due to low line rate. I am happy with it. I can watch 720p videos on Youtube with 5mbps connection. 1080p buffers at times.

As you can see SNR has been dropped now like before it gets fixed by changing pair where I get around 15 dB. There is no drop in DSL or internet light though.

@doctorjain, your telephone line is noisy and is the root cause of the problem. Until it is resolved you will continue to face issues with your connection. Please raise a support ticket with BSNL and have them do a line check on the line pair assigned to your connection and/or the line from the DP to your residence/office. One or both may require replacement or change over.

The ADSL filter also serves to process the signals at certain frequency leaving the rest for voice calls. They are cheap and must be installed with all ADSL connections. Please have the line man do this. My Airtel VDSL connection also has a filter installed though I don't use it for voice calls. And it doesn't drop the link. The line is stable for days on end.

When did the issue start? Was it around the time the lineman removed the ADSL filter? If yes, you may ask him to put it back. It is definitely useful, even if we don't use a telephone.

Ideally, the line rate should be constant. However, it can vary at times, such as when there is a windy-condition, especially with a long drop-wire.

Please try to lower the line rate from 10mbps to something like 8mbps or even 6mbps. This improves the stability by improving SNR ratio. Just for the records, my line rate is approximately 5mbps (or 6016kbps to be precise). SNR is 25.2 db and the exchange is approximately 1km from here. However, the actual wire goes through multiple streets in a zigzag manner. And then, there is a drop-wire of approximate 100 meters (it is a very long wire). So, my SNR drops a lot with high winds. Yet, I get a stable connection due to low line rate. I am happy with it. I can watch 720p videos on Youtube with 5mbps connection. 1080p buffers at times.

@pothi No thanks! I want speed of at least 10 Mbps proper. The issue started way back 2 weeks ago. Line man comes and removed ADSL small match box as I don't use telephone. He said carbon impurity comes in it, use it direct and you won't face any problem in future. But now after so much efforts from yesterday internet is working but gets upset during night, Idk why.

@C3PO Lineman has already changed pair so many times. I went to office, met TDM officer requested to fix this issue, let's see.

Lineman has already changed pair so many times. I went to office, met TDM officer requested to fix this issue, let's see.

Knowing BSNL's attitude and given the state they are in there's only so far they will go to satisfy a customer complaint. If they really changed the line pair there may be issues with the main underground cable. Either way your options are limited.

Consider taking a connection from Airtel, Jio or other pvt broadband operators which will be faster and possibly less expensive than BSNL.

@doctorjain to give you an example of how good line quality can be, my Airtel VDSL connection has been up for nearly 5 days without dropping the carrier/link. I would encourage you to check with Airtel if they provide a 16 or 40 Mbps connection at your place. Better still check for FTTH connection from Airtel, Tata Sky Broadband etc.

That Match box is splitter & is required to work with vdsl connection.