Downstream port speed

• Thread starter Thread starter Kvothe
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 2,514
ISP
BSNL
I am using BBG COMBO ULD 845 pack but for some reason my downstream port speed is stuck at 2047kbps. Whenever I asked exchange office to upgrade my port speed the only reply I get is they are looking into this matter and they will fix this soon.But I think they have no idea what to do.So can any one please tell me where should I raise this issue so they change my downstream speed.

Source

Your upstream snr is too bad it looks to me a bad port. Because the downstream snr is alright. Tell them to change the port. Or check the line joints.

Sorry there was probably some kind of a error when I took the screen shot snr downstream stays above 25.

see the attainable rate. its 20mbps+ . i think they have to change your port speed from exchange to rectify this.

@Kvothe its common.
when speed increases SNR decreases. when SNR drops dramatically to say 5 or low then frequent disconnections happen. that is problem with copper cables.
many users are having this same problem and not able to get the promised speed as per plan. so if such a situation happens then the solution is to decrease the speed.
now how to increase SNR if you ask. SNR decreases due to many factors. users who are located far away from exchange will have a lesser SNR value. if there is noise in your telephone line then SNR will decrease. if there are rust in joints of cables then SNR can decrease

Today jto called me and brought down my downstream port speed to 4095 kbps. He is telling me bsnl can't provide the 10Mbps downstream speed because the machines in my local exchange is too out dated. So is there any higher authority I can talk to or I will have to be happy with this 4Mbps line.

@Kvothe first thing is that we cant trust what they are saying.
this is a local exchange right, you can check where is their main office of the district and see a senior offical there.
you can also use twitter to rise your concern

talked with AGM on main office today.He talk with me like i am at fault for using bsnl broadband and told me the same thing as jto (outdated machines and my home is far away from exchange which is 2.5 km at max) .Also told me the plan says its UPTO 10Mbps and bsnl can provide any speed upto 10 Mbps ,so I should be happy with my 4Mbps line.

If your house is approximately 2.5km from the exchange, it's advisable to stick with 4mbps. Because, even though, it is physically 2.5km away, the actual wire routing can take longer due to zig-zag patterns by which the cables are laid. My house is hardly 1km away from the exchange, but the wire routing takes over 1.5km as it comes through different streets. My line rate is approximately 5.5mbps and I get 5mbps speed on average. Even the JTO / AE asked me if you'd like to increase the speed further. I politely declined it as I know I have to compromise on SNR that is critical for business users like me.

@pothi , what you said is right. for a stable connection its best to stick with 4 or maximum 5 mbps if the user is a bit far from exchange.

what is the snr you are getting for 5mbps