Download problem

• Thread starter Thread starter demigod
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 36
  • Views Views 7,815
ISP
Airtel
Hi recently i'm facing problem in download. i have a airtel 256Kbps-unlimted connection,when ever i download a file normally through browser( any browser firefox/ie ) it stops downloading after few percentage.it's applicable to every thing like updating virus def,streaming videos and whatever i download through browser.But downloads are fine through download accelerators and p2p clients.i really not able to download any thing through browser help me !.this happens when downloading a small file as well as large file :wall:.i'm using windows xp prof service pack 2 integratedbadly need help 🙁Note:but download are fine in linux

The connection seems fine. Probably some file corruption and/or malware is to blame here. Try this:

Run each of these two commands(Start>Run) separately and reboot.
Code:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
Code:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Also, won't exactly hurt to run a virus/spyware scan and updating windows (might inadvertently fix any corruption) if the above steps don't help. Heck, even System Restore might prove useful here if this problem has surfaced only recently and save you a format/re-install.

But bad luck still having problem :redface:,any other suggestions please !

Code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600](C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.C:\>netsh int ip reset resetlog.txtWARNING: Could not obtain host information from machine: [TRILLIAN]. Some commands may not be available.C:\>netsh winsock reset catalogWARNING: Could not obtain host information from machine: [TRILLIAN]. Some commands may not be available.Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset.
Thanks

@vishalraoi already have download accelerator and flashgot in firefox.It works fine when i download through download accelerator.but my problem is that,i'm not able to do updates,streaming video.i tried to update mcafee av yesterday more than 20 times,it failed at last it updated today. i guess you understand my problem 😉

oh ok. while you are trying to download via browser do you have other programs like torrents etc also running/downloading in background... i dont have too many problems streaming videos from youtube, or updating browser etc...do your modem/router/tcpip have some QoS settings maybe?

No i don't run other download in background while downloading through browser.i checked with netlimter to monitor other application activites,same thing happens it download for sometime and simply stops :wall:i don't understand this " do your modem/router/tcpip have some QoS settings maybe? "

@demigod From Google search "download corrupt in browser"
cannot download anything

Originally Posted by onetime:
This could simply be a browser cache problem. The solution could actually be very easy. I hope this post would help many people.
1) Just go to
C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Local Settings
(note: Local Settings could be a hidden file which you need to be able to view first)
Then uncheck read-only under property for
"Temporary Internet Files" and "Temp", thus changing all the subfolders and files properties.
2) Then go to Tools->Internet Options->temporary internet files -> settings
to set a reasonable amount - say 300MB of space for temporary internet files folder.
This should work well.
Hope this helps.
UNQUOTE
Also recommended to delete index.dat and Windows Defender if installed. ( see details)

1.If you have the XP CD try a repair option. or run sfc /scannow
2. You can download a fresh version of IE7 from Microsoft.
Internet Explorer 7: downloads
3.and also FireFox.( which updates existing version ).
4. Now you had problem UPD your AV Mcfee program. The UPD is not automatic ? do you need the browser IE or FF or a download program ?
5. My AVG, updates daily, no sooner I switch on the computer and the BB modem is activated. if there is any UPD due .

`
A.TCP/IP settings advanced Check TCP/Ipfiltering settings
B. Modem settings : ( A & B & C as suggested by Vishalrao)
C.( about router /modem internal settings later if needed. )
1. Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel and open
Modems.
2. Click Properties and click the Connection tab.
3. Click Port Settings and bring the Receive Buffer
slider down a notch.
4. Hit OK and try your download again.
5. Once your file has been successfully received,
you can go back in and increase the buffer settings
back to where they were.
D:
The temporary internet file cache is too small to
contain the file as it downloads.
* Enlarge the temporary internet file cache: In
Internet Explorer go to Tools > Internet Options >
General tab > Temporary Internet Files > Settings,
and increase the Amount Of Disk Space To Use
setting to 150 MB. (The default is 50 MB.)
( probably too much Temp IE files/ History etc : Clear every day )
ccleaner from filehippo.com - Download Free Software : Daily before going to bed !

A: i checked TCP/Ipfiltering settings.. image attached http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6039/tcpipfilteringms9.png
C: properties is not available image attached http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/315/modempropgs6.png
D: Temporary Internet Files > Settings,Amount Of Disk Space was 1024 MB.i reduced it 250(which was recommended)

and i have a doubt.i always use FireFox and i don't use IE.how the setting in IE affect overall system download..?

Problem : Download files in IE and FF browser not proper. stops midway. ( OK with LINUX OS)
Able to download nicely with download managers.
Took 20 attempts to update Macfee AV.
Query now : what IE settings have to do with FF ?
Comment :No idea whether problem solved .
Suggest
1.. Completely uninstall IE and check FF can download properly.
2.Try this add on for FF for more clues.
mozdev.org - downloadstatusbar: index

Sorry for late reply the problem is not yet solved.it persist there.Is it safe to uninstall IE completely.when i googled i came to know it is risky.and i don't want to risk it 🙂.