Doubt : Theft - debit card used - after using at Apple Store ?

• Thread starter Thread starter mhsabir
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 48
  • Views Views 9,028

mhsabir

Xclusive
Staff member
ISP
Jio & Hathway
Ok, a friend of mine who has got an iPhone 4s, decided to use a debit card for the first time in his life to buy an app at Apple app store, 3 days later he got a call from icici asking if he did a transaction just then, he told no and they said it had been used at some sort of blacklisted site or ip or whatever and they are blocking the card. he checked and found an amount has been deducted, but it was not a big amount, it was more like another typical app purchase. He was told to file a dispute. Now, he has used card at restaurants and shops, but he is sure that its the appstore purchase which caused the problem for some reason. I am wondering if Apple leaked his card details or did he accidentally chose some subscription in the app or he is likely to be wrong in his thoughts.

Apple leaking his card details is highly unlikely. Seems like in app purchase, but then that would go through his IP, right ?

Yeah, that's what. The surprising part was that the ICICI bank called him and that helped him realize of the occurence of the theft

right. i have my credit card attached to an ipod touch for like ever. and have never noticed anything suspicious. it was probably conducted by a kid at home. but then from what i remember, Apple requires you to put in your password for literally every transaction. even on free app installation i believe. not so sure about in-app purchases though.

Well no kids at his place, he is a bachelor, also I doubt banks will get worried and raise a flag over a couple of dollars of purchase at app store, I mean, something wrong in the transaction would have triggered the alert for them. India is behind in app purchases, but even then it a very common thing now

It maybe because he has some sort of keylogger/trojan/rat in his PC?Maybe the restaurant PC was hacked and CC stolen?Why in this world would Apple leak his details? I can make out from your recent posts that you don't like apple but this is bs.

Mind you, we have only two factors in indicating he is right about Apple as a source of money deduction, one he doesn't use debit card online as such and secondly, amount looks meagre like an app purchase

i received a call from my credit card provider when i made a bunch of 10 cent purchases during the sale on android market. the good thing is that i get instant sms on every credit card transaction from standard chartered. and a mail too next day.

I missed asking him if he got a mail about his "purchase", which he should get if it was an app purchase from app store

If somebody indeed were to steal his details, I doubt it that they'd use it for such petty purchases.

Assumptions everywhere.That purchase maybe a trick to check if his CC is valid or not.

True...But what triggered ICICI... surely not an app purchase, even if you say he accidently clicked yes to a purchase.

Assumptions everywhere.
That purchase maybe a trick to check if his CC is valid or not.

Not true, if debit card, right?

and here i thought icici required transaction password on every transaction through the debit card. i could be wrong though. it has been a very long time since i used my icici debit card for anything.