DoT may ask BSNL, MTNL to share ‘last mile’ for bb

• Thread starter Thread starter Suraj
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 4,150

Suraj

Regular
source : Mumbai Mirror

New Delhi: Government may allow private operators to share infrastructure of two telecom PSUs – BSNL and MTNL – especially the copper loop for the broadband services, a move that was always opposed by BSNL.

According to the draft New Telecom Policy being prepared by the Department of Telecom (DoT) “...to stimulate growth of broadband service, the Government would take initiatives in the areas such as sharing and unbundling of BSNL/MTNL copper loops on revenue share basis.”

It can be recalled that telecom regulator TRAI had earlier recommended unbundling of copper loops, known as last mile connectivity and where BSNL and MTNL have virtual monopoly, but it was not accepted in view of strong opposition from BSNL.

“The Government would clearly define parameters for Right of Way (RoW) to access residential and commercial buildings in order to deliver broadband. Broadband will be treated as an essential service to facilitate RoW,” the draft NTP said.

Currently, the two telecom PSUs are leading in providing broadband services across the country over their competitors in the private sector.

Both PSUs are adding over 1,000 new subscribers for their broadband operations and the private telecom companies have been demanding unbundling of last mile connectivity with a view to minimise costs as well as duplication of investment.

• Currently, the two PSUs are leading in broadband services across India over their competitors in private sector[/b]

nice, i hope for a new price war and better plans + no download limits and some good service.

or maybe DoT will again just ignore TRAI recommendations... 🙂what about cable-internet, govt should really "unbundle" cable tv providers as well... allow any ISP to provide internet through your local cable operator... this is good coz the cable wiring is much better than some phone wirings... not to mention cable distances can be much longer...will give a good option to those who are far off the DSL exchange (DSLAM or whatever)...and this will help govt meet their broadband subscriber numbers/goals too... then maybe our claims of being an IT superpower will be more realistic and I dont have to hang my head in shame in public anymore 😛

ya lol.. 256kbps with 1 gb limit and we call ourselves IT superpowers!! lolthen what would korea call emselves??? i cant imagine!!but do you realy think its gonna help.. we only have mntl/bsnl with not so good plans.. there wouldonly be other isp`s coming up wiht similar crappy plans!!

Its the best thing that can happen to us right now. I would love to take airtel's 256 U/L on my MTNL line.It revolutionised the BB market in UK i.e. when the monopoly of BT over last mile waz broken why wont it have the same effect here?

The biggest problem is that BSNL and MTNL lines aren't THAT reliable and arent THAT bad either. On whom will the onus lie if we get bad speeds? Is it MTNL or the DSL company?? Think 😉Also, I hope the government is going to force it's policy on BSNL and MTNL! Otherwise they will never agree to give their copper to airtel or other companies!

Well i dont have to scratch my head on that, its their job to figure that out - if there is a contract between sarkari and private operators for providing BB on sarkari lines, obviously they WILL have an agreement regarding fault fixing and maintenance too. There are plenty of us out here who have decent lines but no decent plans...atleast we'll have subscribable plans then.BTW, max are u a fan of Bond...saw it written on ur profile so asked..we had one who was a favourite of the mod :lol:

cyberwiz, i am not a fan of "Bond" ( i assume you are talking of the infamous James Bond ). It's a title which the board automatically assigns to a user depending on his post count... Who was favorite of which mod? Be more clear...!Sushubh, 😱 😛h34r: You are scaring me 😛h34r:

Originally posted by max@Nov 13 2005, 09:12 PM
.. Who was favorite of which mod? Be more clear...!
[snapback]31804[/snapback]
[/quote]

Dont worry u have nothing to fear, it waz only a hint for the mod and he got it. 🙂

It is nearly the last hope. Unbundling the Local Loop..MTNL can be crappy with inflated bills! I wanna get rid of it 🙁

Originally posted by cyberwiz@Nov 13 2005, 10:55 PM
Dont worry u have nothing to fear, it waz only a hint for the mod and he got it.  🙂
[snapback]31832[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hey! This is not fair! Private jokes on a public forum are bad!

it is not a joke. he was referring to an old member of the forum who was later banned. now i do not think i am going to tell you his story.