• Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 4,128

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
I just moved my first domain away from GoDaddy for having a pro SOPA stance. I am moving to Hover.

I suggest considering doing the same!

USe whois service to find out who owns the final link to your domain

right. hover, name.com and namescheap.com were the three options popular on that reddit thread. i am no sure why i decided to stick with hover. their customer care has been very nice so far!

ja, got good discount too from NC and a free whois protection , lol GoDaddy is learning the hard way what it means to be a internet based company and then mess with your own customers.

Name.com is good too.Have some 15 domains with them.No problems with them for the last few years.

i have heard a lot of stories. this one is one of them.

The person on the other end seemed startled that I had actually answered. It was someone from GoDaddy's abuse department, who informed me that they were "turning off" weebly.com due to a complaint.

"WHAT?" I said frantically into the phone. He explained that they had received a complaint about the content of a site, and that they were removing the DNS entries for weebly.com because of it. I asked him if they had contacted us previously -- he responded that they hadn't.

The site in question featured a bad review of a local business, and that business had complained. Why on earth would a domain registrar take it upon themselves to police content?

As calmly as I possibly could at that moment, I explained to him that Weebly served millions of websites -- most of them US small businesses -- and asked if he had already changed the DNS entries. He said that he had, but that it wouldn't hit the system for another 10 minutes or so, and he could quickly revert it. Unbelievable -- crisis narrowly averted.

The very next day, we proceeded to transfer all of our domain names away from GoDaddy, to a registrar that actually cares about their customers.

GoDaddy: A glimpse of the Internet under SOPA - David Rusenko

my domain ends with .inI wanted to move over to namecheap.com as they are offering 1 year free. But they don't support transfer of .in domains. Any help guys? Wan't to rub it in to GoDaddy.

Namecheap.com - Pricing - Extensions/TLDs Supported shows me that they do sell .in domains. 16 dollars per year.

last time i checked. name.com also support .in domains.

i moved to hover. they do not offer .in domains. but they accept my 2 .in domains (bbblog and bbforum) and added them manually to my account. i have limited powers to manage the domain though i can mail them with any major changes and they would process it manually in the domain registry.

hover is a bit expensive but their customer care has been pretty amazing to me. a bit more per year is something i can manage.

JotForm.com has been suspended by GoDaddy for more than 24 hours now. They have disabled the DNS without any prior notice or request. They have told us the domain name was suspended as part of an ongoing law enforcement investigation. In order to resolve the issue, they asked us to contact the officer in charge at U. S. Secret Service.
When I contacted the Secret Service, the agent told me she is busy and she asked for my phone number, and told me they will get back to me within this week. I told them we are a web service with hundreds of thousands of users, so this is a matter of urgency, and we are ready to cooperate fully. I was ready to shutdown any form they request and provide any information we have about the user. Unfortunately, she told me she needs to look at the case which she can do in a few days. I called her many times again to check about the case, but she seems to be getting irritated with me. At this point, we are waiting for them to look into our case.

Founder of JotForm here. I

Glad to be moving out from GoDaddy!

----------

I'm at a loss as to how this possibly makes sense. Even if the forms were being used for some illegal purpose (and it's important to note that Section 230 does not apply to criminal activity -- just civil offenses), I still can't fathom a reason why it should lead to everyone else getting censored and an internet startup facing a massive hardship wherein tons of users have had their service disrupted with millions of useful forms being suddenly disappeared.

And I won't even bother spending any time on the fact that apparently it was GoDaddy who helped the US government "suspend" the domain.

US Government 'Suspends' JotForm.com Over User Generated Forms; Censorship Regime Expands | Techdirt

a couple. mostly owned by friends. would all be switched by the end of year as i am switching them as they are nearing expiry date. so that the expense is distributed throughout the year. hover is pretty expensive compared to GoDaddy.