Does Sify use Cache?

• Thread starter Thread starter popcorn
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 2,812

popcorn

ISP
Some company Broadband 50mbps + Jio Airfiber 30mbps
Hi guys.. I was wondering if Sify or cto uses server cache ? that means if I had updated my comp with latest windows update and some one(subscriber) from same cto does windows update .. will be downloaded in seconds from cache..in other words I download a file of 100 MB today and my neighbour also goes to the same site to download it next day he downloads it in 5 seconds? bcz its available on cto cache.This used to happen long back some 1.5 years back but now it does not 🙁any idea?

caching is generally a bad idea. a couple of years ago. the local cable guy i had enabled it for a couple of weeks.. and i used to get week old versions of web pages. and when u are into web development business... u would not be able to work with this kind of situation 😉

They do use some caching. They use a SQUID proxy which does have some form of caching. But I have never heard of any problems with SQUID (except due to a bad setup), at least not as related to caching. As for file speed up, at most they might cache the file, but provide it to you at pretty much the same speed. Basically, they will save on bandwidth, but not help you out. I don't think they cache large files or anything.

Originally posted by Sushubh@Dec 26 2005, 02:29 PM
and when u are into web development business... u would not be able to work with this kind of situation 😉
[snapback]37213[/snapback]
[/quote]
You can always set the CACHE-CONTROL to no-cache which will prevent this kinda caching 😉

i think these settings are used by browsers not proxy servers.

No, caches also check the time of last change (they can request only header information). If it different from the stored value, they reload. Check out tanenbaum, it has a discussion on this.

Sushubh, you can always put no-cache in the META tags of your pages. If the cache obeys these tags then it will fetch a fresh copy. And transparent caches never cache .php or .asp(x) scripts...

http includes the concept of headersThis is separate from the html file, and contains certain other informationEg. Time of last changeSo the cache simply requests just the header, checks the above mentioned field, compares it against the store value (if any) and can then do the necessary.