Does JioFi have VoLTE in it? (No it's not a stupid question)

• Thread starter Thread starter RajanP
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 4,402
ISP
BSNL 3G
My question is -- does JioFi come with VoLTE in it?

For example, when I make a call from my non-VoLTE phone using JioFi and the app, is the signal carried over Wifi to JioFi and from there, does JioFI use VoLTE to forward my call into the network?

Or does the app convert my call into a VoIP call right at the handset level, and it travels all the way to Jio's network switching station unaltered and uninterrupted?

If it is the first case, wouldn't it be clearer compared to VoIP?

Jio_FI is not VoLTE enabled. As once I put my SIM on Non-VoLTE phone obviously I was unable to make calls so I downloaded their app and it used mobile data to make and receive calls so on basis of that I can say its not the jiofi but its the app which does everything.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the app does use mobile data. But even Volte is basically mobile data only. It's just a name difference, plus different priority in packet switching. that's why volte gives better results than voip.

@Sahyadri How can you be so sure about jiofi ? IF we use that app in non VoLTE phones it does everything to make and receive calls using mobile data. Have you tried calling through app connected to JioFI after disabling data? If it can still make calls then it must be VoLTE enabled otherwise it just usage data to make/receive calls.

@Sahyadri How can you be so sure about jiofi ? IF we use that app in non VoLTE phones it does everything to make and receive calls using mobile data. Have you tried calling through app connected to JioFI after disabling data? If it can still make calls then it must be VoLTE enabled otherwise it just usage data to make/receive calls.
First tell me how could you disable the data in Jiofi as their is no option to enable or disable the data.
And even after disabling the data in phone ,your VoLTE supported phone send the voice call as data packet So Their is no difference between if you disabled or enabled the data in phone , as voice call always goes as Data packet.But difference between voice call and other data is that voice call gets priority over otger data.
So we could say that Jio4Join app acts as VoLTE simulator which prioritise Voice call data over other data.

Last edited:
@hrishi.baba I don't have jiofi, I use Huawei 4G dongle. I thought like each and every dongle it must have an option to disable data and whatever the background technicality of VoLTE is, in the language of layman(like me) I can make calls in VoLTE mode regardless of the mobile data connection but in non-VoLTE device an active data connection is must. 😀

There the absolutely no need of Mobile Data on Phone to make a call via Jio4GVoice app.

It is absolutely necessary for the Phone to be connected to JioFi via WiFi with the JioFi having Jio SIM for making call via Jio4GVoice.

Jio4GVoice app needs Jio 4G data active to make a call on non VoLTE phones,i can vouch for that..