Does Buffalo WHR-G54S Wifi Router AP have Service Name Option for Pacnet Sharing

• Thread starter Thread starter Quad Master
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 9,481

Quad Master

ISP
Pacenet 300 NUL
Hi All

This is my first post here

================================================================
This is whats required in a AP if i need to share internet.
===============================================================
You need a wifi router with pppoe dialing capabilities. Also to use your connection account with the new router you will need an "@linuxuser" id from pacenet because most ppp/prouters use a stripped down version of Linux based on kernel 2.4.
Then in the router config page you will get options to enter your username , password etc for pacenet.

The problem here is that though most wifi routers come with pppoe , they dont have a provision to select service (from the ones which you get when you do raspppoe or pppoecfg) . So if there are multiple services/access concentrators on your LAN then you will be scewed! So before buying a router , check that it asks for service name. Also if there is currently one service in your LAN , still go for a router which asks service name because if your cable walla decides to offer more services then again trouble will start.

Forget the linuxuser login part that i can manage.

All i wanna know is does Buffalo WHRG54S allows me that service name thing.
================================================================

1.> I wud like to know if Buffalo WHR-G54S had a option for "Service Name" option.
We have raspppoe or pppoecfg which lists various services in my lan and then
i select and create a dialer and then access net using that dialer.

I want to purchase a AP which will help me share internet wirelessly on my P990i.

2.> The scenario after i purchase a wifi ap will be like this , i wanna know will i be able to share net on my P990i.

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9804/netscenariovr7.jpg

I have come here with lot of hope , please help me resolve my queries.

Buffalo Inc.
from website
Newegg.com - BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G MIMO Broadband Router and Access Point - Retail
Pros:
Because of the built in amplifiers that come with this networking device you are able to get a more reliable and consistent connection wirelesslly. Unlike other brands(Linksys, D-Link, Belkin and Netgear, these brands are all very overrated and don't have the reliablity of the Buffalo technology) It takes some setting up, because its a good router. Thats why. It has excellent security features, a wall mount which is great and a nice antenna. You need to work on the configuration of the router.- Thats why its great. Dont think you can just set it up and mount it on the wall, it doesn't work like that.
Cons: None whatsoever.
Other Thoughts: If you want reliablity in your networking, buy this router. Remember Brand name doesnt mean a thing... I suggest configuring the router wired, not wireless. That way you have a direct wired connection to connect to 192.168.11.1

firstly thanks a lot to reply my postBut that still leaves my doubt unclear.does the G54S wifi AP have the Service Name Option.I have read that if i flash it with the DDWRT firmware then i will be able to set the service name.but i want someone to confirm it.

I really apprecite ur efforts to help me out my friend.

Problem
I am on a pacenet isp and i plan to get a Wifi Access Point so that I can
share my pacenet's internet on my P990i

Devices involved in this problem
1.> Buffalo WHR-G54S [which i plan to purchase]
1xRouter Connector + 4 Port Switch
where my wire from ISP will go into

2.> PC with a wired lan card
one wire from the lan card will go into one of the 4 ports on the AP's switch

3.> My P990i [802.11b]
on which i wanna access net and access my files shared from my PC.

Hope u got the scenario.

Now my doubt is since Pacenet uses PPPOE , i wanted to know from a
Buffalo WHR G54S User that does it have a field to enter the Service Name.

On my LAN there are several services running line VSNL , Pacenet , Sify
i have to select these services manually and create a pppoe dialer
and then in my pacenet dialer i select this and connect to my internet.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2987/pppoecu1.png

As u can see currently only one is active but normally there are 3 or more
of VSNL etc.

Is this field available in the buffalo's router settings

This will allow me to share my internet in the wired as well as wireless lan.

Hope i am able to explain u.

Hope u guys are getting what i mean by service name option.

Well I don't know much about setting up a WiFi network, but let me try to help with the service name part-

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1121/raspppoeyy9.jpg

In the service name, use this format: at Access Concentrator

For e.g.: Pacenet at SSCthane

ummm, I have this wireless router, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Let me know if I can help, but let's keep it simple! ( I use it with Airtel btw)

Airtel doesnt require this setting.

Infact Airtel , Mtnl , Bsnl doent require this setting it will work without it.

@vebmetal - Can u just find in ur internet connection type settings is there
a field like service name when u select "Connection Type" as "PPPoE".

It will be in the routers configuration section where u key in ur internet
account settings.

Thats all nothing else , just confirm me abt this i will get all my answers.

and post a screenshot if possible.

Well i too have this router but i flashed it with custom firmware as soon as i bought it so cant tell if the option is there in default firmware..but why r u worried? that option is there on dd-wrt and u can run ddwrt on buffalo

Well i too have this router but i flashed it with custom firmware as soon as i bought it so cant tell if the option is there in default firmware..but why r u worried? that option is there on dd-wrt and u can run ddwrt on buffalo

I know this option is there on DDWRT and now i also found out that this option is also there in the Tomato firmware.

But i am a bit worried about flashing , will only flash if i really feel the need.
otherwise i plan to stay with the default firmware if its providing wat i want.

Thats why wanted to know if the default f/w had this option.

Looks like many people flash all these devices with some 3rd party f/w's
no ones on stock f/w.

Which f/w are u using DDWRT , Tomato , OpenWRT , HyperWRT , HyperWRT Thibor , X-WRT , Tarifa.

Also how did u flash for the first time , using the TFTP method.

dont be worried about flashing..buffalo routers are meant to be flashed..infact there is only a minority using buffalo routers w/o flashing with custom f/w.I used tftp to flash it with tomato and have been very happy since..IMO DD-WRT has become too bloated with extra features. Havent tried openwrt. BTW hyperwrt-tofu ; hyperwrt; hyperwrt-thibor and tarifa work only with Linksys products.

Thanks cyberwiz.

So u used the file tomato.trx and flashed it via TFTP to the Buffalo WHR G54S.

Also ya u r correct only DDWRT , Tomato and Open WRT have f/w's for buffalo.

Will mostly be flashing with Tomato.

Which version of tomato f/w r u using currently only 1.70 is available.

I am using the latest version of tomato ie 1.07There is a batch file on tomato's home page that automatically starts TFTP and uploads the f/w..good thing abt this f/w is that once its loaded u dont need to flash using tftp anymore..the upgrade option from web interface can be used.

Guys got my final answer.

my friend just mailed me this

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/1599/blahno9.jpg

even the default f/w on the buff WHR G54S supports Service Name option.

Hey I know this is offtopic but just needed to know where I could get a Buffalo WHR-G54S in Mumbai.Thanks in advance.