Does anyone see Intermittent disconnections ?

• Thread starter Thread starter gishu
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 4,657

gishu

Hi,First post here. Thanks guys for building this sounding board.Now to my problem. After a month of registering, I got a DSL NU connection.From day one, their support web page is down. SO I don't know if MTNL is up to something.What I see is that the connection breaks off randomly (not very frequent but it does atleast once a day). Normally it happens when I click on a link or req a new web page.The XP task manager shows network usage going to 0 and my downloads stop.I then have to cold boot / power off to get my conn back on. Which happens correctly each time. But this is annoying. My night unlimited was a paltry 6 MB or so due to this.Any ideas apart from installing a robotic arm to switch off-on my modem every hour or so.

dude only thing i can suggest u is that is ur connection coming to ur router thru splitter ? and after splitting no parallel connection must be there.Search on this forum and u will hit upon this splitter topic.If ur connections r correct then there might be line problem.Take my adviceseldom disconnects can only be attributed to splitting problems, Line problems, Router Problem->(Less likely)Check ur adsl status page in router configuration page are u having greater line attnuation or less signal to noise (SNR) ratio

I am using my USB port instead of the Lan. I wanted to keep this since I am already using the LAN port for my Home LAN 🙂I have multiple outlets where I can plug in the phone at my house. I have a phone attached to one such outlet. Another outlet brings my phone line into my ADSL splitter. The phone out of the splitter is not connected to anything else.Here is the SNR info that I see...SNR Margin 17 17 dB Line Attenuation 49 31 dB Data Rate 128 256 kbps Any other causes that anyone can see ?Crap it blew up again. This is getting pathetic....

Before I forget, does anyone have any idea what counts as a proper logout.Is Switching off the modem 100% reliable or some sad scenario exists where MTNL can screw me again ?how does MTNL know that I have logged out ?? timeouts ?

well, whenever i've connected through, it's given me same trouble of disconnection...so i use the ethernet port only now...have installed one more LAN card for the Sify one...switching off the modem is enough...u don't need to do anything extra to make sure u're logged out...

i too get disconnected sometimes during the night time. i have the dsl nu(256kbps) plan too. i have 3 phone outlets in my house but all the outlets r based on the same telephone no. none of the telephone lines r using splitters. two outlets r connected to phones while the third one is for the router. my connection does get disconnected and immediately reconnects but i lose all the downloads i was doing and resuming might not take place everytime. furthermore, the max. download speed i have ever got is 28kbps. Ive tried online speed testers, dap, share/p2p clients, torrents etc. But the max ive ever got is 28. The status of my adsl router in the router configuration page is as follows :-SNR Margin : 23 23 dB Line Attenuation : 19 11 dB Data Rate : 256 256 kbps Are my snr and line attenuation values under the normal range?? If not, can u tell me how to correct them? If yes, what prevents my download speed to exceed 28kbps???

thanks guys! One last thing - to switch to LAN conn, I just need to use the network cable and connect the router and the LAN Cardand remove the USB ConnectionI am assuming that the router does not need any configuration changes ?Am I right ??

First of all GISHU ur data rate is set at 128 which you need to get fixed. Call up the MTNL guys and tell them to correct it from their exchange. There is nothin u can do about it yourself. Secondly as ppl have said before check ur phone line and ensure that it is set up properly i.e. no breaks before splitter.As regards ur problem Yohu123 where u are getting disconnected some time at night, I've noticed something. Since i have my autumn break i've been keeping awake and have confirmed that since many ppl still don't switch their router on/off at the given time and hence end up with huge bills which they blame on MTNL, they've started disconnecting and reconnecting it for us from their end. Your connection will drop and reconnect within a few secs once between 12:21 and 12:23 am (which starts ur free night usage session) and again at 8:13 am (which is a lil funny coz it's beyond 8 am but it ends ur night usage session if u haven't already done so minimising the damage done to ppl not following instructions). So if u start ur night downloads before 12:23 and go off to sleep ur downloads will be interrupted although most clients resume after it reconnects but some don't. So start ur downloads at 12:30 now instead to avoid problems. Cheers!

I think the data rate is low at 128 coz of the disturbances and noises.the router automatically sync in at a lower rate due to disturbances.you need to get your internal wiring fixed..its not due to mtnl and the problem lies in ur home due to bad wiring.

Am not too sure abt that coz i happen to think that the disturbance or faulty wiring shows up in the SNR ratio and line attentuation and doesn't affect the sync rate which is fixed at the exchange level. But maybe muttster is rite and the router just automatically syncs in at a lower rate when the signal is weak.

if it's syncing always at 128 only, then it for sure is set from the exchange only...just check that thing as well...

but the upstream is at 256kbps..chances are disturbances causing lower sync..once i was syncing at 192kbps..and even 128kbps..those times there was lotsa disturbances on the line..anyway no harm in calling them up 🙂 their support is getting better i feel (had called them once that dsl not working..2days later they called asking if its rectified yet) 🙂

Most modems and routers have the ability to monitor line statistics. Some modems like the SpeedTouch Home, 2Wire, and Cayman have very detailed monitoring while others may only show basic information.Although what is monitored and the exact name may be different depending on manufacturer, the overall information is the same. Below are some of the common terms and measurements used to judge line quality. Remember these are not hard numbers but simply a generalization of line statistics:Attainable Line Rate (AKA Synch Rate)This is the maximum rate at which your modem can connect to the DSLAM if there was no service provisioning limiting the bandwidth. Anything over 2,000Kbps is considered good. The higher the number the better.Used Line RateYour Used ATM Rate (actual service rate) plus bandwidth to cover the overhead and provisioning of the service.Fast Used ATM RateActual bandwidth at which your service has been provisioned. The actual number can vary a little depending how you are physically serviced. If there is a number here that also means your connection is "fastpathed".Interleaved Used ATM RateActual bandwidth at which your service has been provisioned. The actual number can vary a little depending how you are physically serviced. If there is a number here that also means your connection is "interleaved".Relative Capacity (AKA Line Capacity)Percentage of your overall available bandwidth used to obtain your service ATM rate. For example; if your max line synch rate was 5888Kbps and you were provisioned on a 1472Kbps service you would be using 25% capacity. 1472/5888=25% capacity. The lower the relative capacity the better, but you can still get maximum speeds (although a less stable connection) even with a very high relative capacity. In other words you could be synching at 1472Kbps with 98% relative capacity and achieve maximum speeds, but you may experience more disconnects.Noise Margin (AKA Signal to Noise Margin or Signal to Noise Ratio)Relative strength of the DSL signal to Noise ratio. 6dB is the lowest dB manufactures specify for modem to be able to synch. In some instances interleaving can help raise the noise margin to an acceptable level. The higher the number the better for this measurement.Line AttenuationMeasure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM and the modem. Maximum signal loss recommendation is usually about 60dB. The lower the dB the better for this measurement.Output PowerHow much power modem (upstream) or DSLAM (downstream) is using. Maximum recommended is about 15dB. The lower the power the better for this measurement.

Woohoo ! 280 MB downloaded yesterday after switching to LAN conn - thanks CoolBuddy. 12:15 - 8:00. Now this is more like it !!!In the morning however I found that the webpages didn't work. Any url resulted in a search page being opened up. The good news was that the torrent downloaders worked anyway - so no issues. I toggled the power to the router and the webpages were back again. I have a spare LAN Card, that I think will work out perfectly for my HomeLan and Triband together.Yeah the 128 Kbps thing is something that stuck out there for me too. I'm gonna watch for one more day and then get on MTNL's back btw some pretty detailed definitions in the last post - thx for turning on my knowledge bulb