Does airtel use bandwidth shaping?

• Thread starter Thread starter goodburn
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 1,424

goodburn

ISP
Airtel
Ok here's the story I subscribed to Airtel 2 months ago. The first few days were pretty good.. I was getting stable 2mbps speeds. 15 days into it, the speeds slowly began to decrease. Latency also increased a bit but still manageable and much better than BSNL. Some 20 days afterwards , I crossed my FUP limit of 20GB but i never got any notification that I have used up 80% of my bandwidth, neither did i get any notification that I have used up 20GB and speeds will be decreased to 256kbps. SO they did not implement the FUP.. BUT the speeds were never really 2mbps during peak times and only during the night time i was getting good speedsBut right after the billing cycle ended on 26th this month my speeds were back to 2mbps even during the peak hours and latency was greatly decreased.SO im confused as to whether this happens to everyone or is it just airtel playing games with me. Do your speeds decrease during the end of the billing cycle regardless of whether you have crossed the FUP or not?

so you are saying that some sort of FUP was applied on your connection but it did not drop your speeds down to 256kbps?

i guess they have covered their base with the FUP thingy. and you are mmm getting the benefit of the doubt.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

i can speak only for my connection. i am on the older 1mbps UL connection. FUP is supposed to be 100GB. i am not sure if i cross the limit or not. but i never not seen any noticeable speed drop before the month's end. but then i am not sure if i cross the FUP limit.

so you are saying that some sort of FUP was applied on your connection but it did not drop your speeds down to 256kbps?

i guess they have covered their base with the FUP thingy. and you are mmm getting the benefit of the doubt.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

i can speak only for my connection. i am on the older 1mbps UL connection. FUP is supposed to be 100GB. i am not sure if i cross the limit or not. but i never not seen any noticeable speed drop before the month's end. but then i am not sure if i cross the FUP limit.

ya something like that.. I think they put others who have not crossed the FUP over me during the peak hours. in short they are given more priority. but during the wee hours when barely anyone (except people like me) use the net, im given full speeds.

if this is what they mean by FUP then its kinda fair. But i barely used 5-6 gbs after i crossed the FUP so not really sure.

well from what i see they are keeping FUP for safety's sake for the time being. a couple of folks have reported not getting FUPed at all to 256kbps. others are getting hit. it would be a smallish relief if airtel is enforcing FUP only when they are struggling with network congestion. sort of like a preventive measure. but i would not give them that much credit yet.