Do Youtubers and Websites owners making more than 20 lakhs through Adsense have to pay GST?

MonsterBallsofDoom

Crotch Shot Expert
ISP
airtel
The Government has been very unclear on this and i am very confused. Both my YouTube channel and website are under my name and not under any LLC like most people do these days. Currently, i just pay taxes on total money received minus expenses.

By the end of this financial year, my total income will cross 20 lakhs which is the limit above which you have to register for GST if you are a services company. I have no idea what to do.

Can someone help me regarding this?

Based on what I have read, all online businesses no matter how small need to register for Gst. You really should consult a CA for this.

What are you doing? Have you registered?

From what i have read if a person is receiving money in foriegn currency for "exporting" services then he/she doesn't have to pay any taxes other than income tax.

We are pretty much exporting content to Google on which they make money by displaying ads on or around it. Google also sends money in foreign currency.

I don't make enough money anymore to worry about Gst or even doing tax planning. But would check with my tax consultant uncle for formalities to fulfill under Gst if required.

Gst registration requirements have nothing to do with tax liability. Even if you are not liable to pay income tax, you need to get pan card for compliance with certain requirements.

That's why I suggest do a proper consultation. Running a website is providing a service to general public. Even if you are not charging them directly. Companies like Google are most definitely complying at their end. You would need to check for compliance at your end.

Hi all,

Income made from Google AdSense is exempted from GST, so there are no need to pay any gst on adsense income but of If you’re using AdX ads, then you will have to pay 18% GST if your AdX supplier is located in India.

I found this article as precise and specific where we can find solution to the applicability of GST on Indian Freelancers.
GST on google Adsense publisher, GST on Direct online advertising

The article has emphasised on 2 important points:-:

ZERO Rated Supply
Export of Service
I think this shall be helpful in understanding the entire logic for GST for freelancers.