Do blind people dream?

• Thread starter Thread starter shouvik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 2,921
Ok, from what I personally think is that - yes, just that the scope of the dream would probably be restricted to the knowledge the brain has. For example, a colour blind person - would only be dreaming in the colors he is familiar with, a born-deaf person might dream only visual dream and similarly a born-blind person may dream only audio dreams.
To put in another way, humans have limits on sounds they can hear (upper/lower) , and animals which have more sound capacity might actually dream outside the human limits , i.e. its own capacity but outside the human boundary.
Deaf-Blind person - Now that would be a challenging question. Though the answer for them might be - it is still be based on sensory motions that they (brain) are aware of.

Never thought that before..
Normally we dream every night but we remember those dreams only on few days, but in dreams we actually see the world as objects that we have already seen in real world.
What i'm trying to say that we already have a mental picture of the real world objects that we use in our dreams.
Now what i'm curious about is what will born blind persons see in their dreams, when they haven't seen any real world object, colour,
They may have only auditory dreams because that's what they have experienced.
Here - Interesting article - Do people who've been blind since birth dream?
Dreams without images only are common in people who have been blind since birth or who lost their sight before they turned 5 years old. People who are blind from birth cannot create visual clues in their brains, so their dreams are all about their other senses.

Simple answer is Yes, blind people do dream.
Here is the catch what they see in their dreams depends on how much they could ever see. If someone has been totally blind since birth, they only have auditory dreams. If someone who went blind in later stage due to medical condition or accident than it really depends upon their memories and at what age it occurred. If someone has had a measure of sight, then that person dreams with that measure of sight. They dream as though one can see, colors included. Sometimes faces are just blurs or how blind person imagine they look. Also if they had memories of someone at some particular age than that look resides forever e.g. if before going blind your daughter's age was 10 then till you die it remains the same face even after 30 years.
Source: My class mate who is blind after age of 17 because of accident in College Chemistry Lab. He did finished his Bachelor in Engineering in Chemical Technologies with Honors (University Rank 3), went to US for Master of Science did finished with Perfect GPA from Top University in US. Works with Bausch and Lomb to as Research Assistant to the person who is developing Artificial Vision System.
For the most time (after he was blind) our best past time was watching Hollywood movies with voice and then he depicts most of the scenes just by listening. Kudos to him.
Note: An "auditory dream" is a dream with only sounds and no images. Basically, the dreams of someone who's been blind from birth are just like the dreams that you have - just without the pictures.