Do Bangalore really sucks in terms of providing reliable home broadband with 90% uptime?

Which Broadband provider in Bangalore has been the so far reliable with 90% uptime rate?

• Airtel

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • ACT

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • BBNL

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Airwire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hathway

• Reliance

• Tikona

• Metronet

• Spectranet

• Others

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

i0s

ISP
Tikona
Hi Guys,

Firstly I'm thankful to this community for letting us express our views and experiences on Indian Broadband Evolution.

My journey in finding reliable ISP has started nearly 30days ago and still haven't found one. Surprisingly I live just 300 meters away from one of the top commercial places in Bangalore and was wondering If I'm not able to find a reliable ISP then how the others living in remote areas are struggling. Very pathetic situations to experience that too in 2016 where the broadband connections are still not feasible after nearly a decade of evolution. I still don't understand why people call India is developing or is developed in some cases. For those who still want to call India is developed/developing you better check the real meaning of Urbanisation/Urban & Rural Development and go thru the case studies in which so far the developed countries have achieved with their own strategies. I think the less I talk the better because people in India are used to these kind of things and not bothered and I strongly say until people change there will never be a change happening in India's future.

Continuing my journey...

I live in Mahadevpura just opposite to two big shopping centres (Phoenix Market City and VR Bengaluru). At the beginning when I moved to bangalore I was using Reliance CDMA postpaid dongle with truly unlimited plan. Must appreciate the service I use to get with Reliance with nearly 90-95% uptime. With recent changes in Reliance and JIO they have closed down the CDMA service and left customers like me in really very horrific and terrible situation.I knew about India and I knew this could happen at some point but didn't ever expect that a company like reliance would do it without informing customers not with even single text message. Anyway moving on thats where I started falling into troubles from last one month I've been looking and I'm still looking. I'll put some steps below on what all I did after I lost reliance and started the ISP search.

1. First ISP I thought off was Airtel and phoned them and booked a request.Like many Telcos Airtel was never the best but better than all. So after me doing follow up calls for nearly a week then I came to know that my area is feasible but the copper cable has been faulty which can't be fixed and that too for one connection request.
  2. Phoned ACT and booked the request. As said by CC I was expecting a call from one of their tech team guys but didn't happen for nearly five days and I didn't bother calling them because I knew I'm not gonna get any response from CC guys and that too their CC number is not free call.
  3. I went to local BSNL office and spoke to some higher officer and asked for FTTH and the response for unfortunately they are not providing for Individual houses and only doing for Residential Gateways/Apartment Buildings(hehe ripping s/w engineers pockets). Then I checked copper plans and surprisingly all the plans come with both fixed line and broadband and that too very expensive than Airtel. I need min and max of 80GB & 125GB per month. And in BSNL a 80GB plan is nearly 3000INR incl taxes and there is no 125GB or 150GB plan. I was like seriously thinking in mind that If I really had no option than BSNL then I would definitely put an extra 2000INR on top and rent a co-working space and work happily with peace of mind and without thinking of any connectivity issues. Because we all know how painful to do a follow up to fix the connectivity issues. I'm like more over peace of mind looking guy rather than making complaints and thats the reason I'm still looking for reliable connection with 80
  4. Next I probably won't go for this but I had to with narrowed options. This is local cable operators who are doing Spectranet/Metronet by cable operator1 and BBNL/Airwire by cable operator 2. Firstly I knew about spectranet/metronet leased lines they provide very less bandwidth with cheap service and price. So I wasn't thinking of these guys at all and then I went to cable operator 2 but wasn't having any experience on BBNL/Airwire until the locals were saying its better and thought of trying it. I called him and he sent me all tariffs via text and asked me to choose one and immediately chose BBNL 10Mbps 100GB which is 1250INR/month incl taxes. Was eagerly waiting for the guy to come and pull the wire to my room. After a day and phone calls the guy came and looked at my house and smiling sarcastically he replied that couldn't provide connection because in my street the left side houses are taken by other cable operator and only after getting permission from them he can proceed. I was shocked and swear myself why the heck I moved to Bangalore from Hyderabad. OK, I have lot of patience and was moving forward I then went to BBNL cable operator office and spoke to main owner and surprisingly I came to know that both owners are friends and he promised me that he'll speak to his friend and will get back to me by evening. Guess what,in the evening I got call from my area cable operator and was convincing to give me a connection which like I said above the Metronet. At this situation I was cornered and my work was getting delayed and I had no other option apart from the final TiKona. Well I told him why I needed the connection and said if I'm not gonna get it then I'm not gonna pay and he did all the usual typical indian seller promises and was only hearing to it and told to give connection ASAP. He asked me to call next day morning and was told that the wire will be pulled immediately and will get internet access by evening. Guess what, the usual saga happened I did nearly 20 calls over a period of 2 days and on 3rd day he pulled the wire and then said he'll immediately give the server connection but never happened and finally I was almost bursting out of frustration and asked him to give connection in 3hrs if not just quit. Its been nearly 6 hours no phone call or connection and I immediately phone my final option Tikona and he got me everything up in just 2hrs. I was happy but still not to the fullest and after that I was roaming near my cable operator and when I saw him I just told him to disconnect his cable and wind up. Immediately in an hour I got phone call from cable owner and he said its connected now please check and I told him straight off about my Tikona and to wind up his cable ASAP.
  5. Finally here comes Tikona, to be honest not a bad start with Tikona and I knew eventually I'll be in trouble at desperate times. Its been 3 days since I had the connection and have already seen nearly 4-5 downtimes averaging 30mins to 90mins.Today a while ago I was having outage for 4hrs and I left it coz was thinking it will be rectified by Tikona. But unless or until I booked a request it wasn't done but luckily rectified in hour time. I won't be staying long and still hoping to find a reliable connection within the 90days tikona period.
  6. With all said above like said I got more patience and hope I don't loose it. My next plans are try Airtel/ACT/Reliance wired connection in unofficial way by getting contacts of local representatives/marketing people, which is literally I'm talking about blackmarket. If this fails I'm going to get a connection to my neighbour who is on other side of the street where the BBNL/Airwire cable operator has feasibility and will pull the wire to my room. The final option is little expensive and complex work but if I'm getting reliable connection then never mind spending and hardworking. I'll look into near by commercial/apartment buildings who's having Airtel/ACT/BSNL(Only FTTH) and find if any of my neighbours are friends are living/working there. If so then I'm going to put a outdoor CPE link within 5Km range and access the internet and for this I need to buy 2 CPE units which will cost around 5-7K INR. And if everything works perfectly I might in future share the connection with my neighbours who are facing same issues like me.
Sorry guys I had to write such a long and without doing I couldn't express whats happening in current trends. If any of you guys are living in near my area and have got or looking for reliable solution then please let me know. So that we all can work together and have better resources. Anyway whatever you guys think please post the comments and If you want to get in touch then please PM me.

Thank you all for your time.
Dee

Last edited:
Bump!!! Was expecting at least one reply!!!

Anyway...hoping to see some replies in next few days....

Guys anyone using Airtel/ACT or any other Fiber broadband connection near Phoenix Shopping Mall, Mahadevpura?.

I appreciate the long post but you should also make a TL;DR version. Not everyone has the patience to read big paras.

Broadband in Bangalore is a hit and miss, depending on your area. I use BBNL in Hebbal, North Bengaluru, 25 Mbps unlimited without FUP for 1150Rs/- .

I still did not read what your issue is, sorry. But you should definitely be able to find a decent ISP near Phoenix mall. Just ask around