• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 1,506

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
I would prefer worthy upgrades - those which add some real value to either the utility or the experience of using the device. All other upgrades do not make much sense to me. I have been using the same for almost three years now, but never really felt it was lacking in something I wanted. Though there were plenty of updates in this duration, the ones that really mattered were ability to download maps on WiFi and to a much lesser extent, enhancement of the default browser.

I call BS!!! 😀

PS this is directed towards the original article & not to what agantuk said...
So I didnt quote whole artice, but just mentioned link from where I got the idea 😀

i have wondered for a while on why mobile updates are free when operating systems are not. i mean tablet and smartphones are pretty close to computers we use on a daily basis. there was an article on zdnet or cnet a while ago where a journalist suggested that android makers should charge a small fee for the upgrades. the concept was simple. it would encourage them to spend resources on releasing updates for older devices. the problem with that article was that the author suggested that google pays for the upgrades which sort of killed the concept for me completely. Apple initially charged for updates for the ipod touch. they stopped this policy with ios5 i believe. personally, i would not mind paying 10 dollars for a major update (gingerbread to ice cream sandwich) but it has to be stable, reliable and delivered on time. of course, the problem is that android being a relatively open source platform, it would be easy for third party developers to hack the update and release it for free killing the who revenue generation system for the manufacturers.

If you use the custom ROMs, I think the question is irrelevant.Anyways when I was using Samsung Galaxy S, I was very happy with the custom ROM (Darky's 10.2 RE), even ICS did not excite me.I think if a phone has nice features and is stable then there is no need of any update!The manufacturer should state whether the phone will get any updates so that it will be easier for the buyer to think.On the other hand, you buy the product on how it is, why do you expect upgrades?