DNS Servers

• Thread starter Thread starter inetbum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 78
  • Views Views 44,826
Hi

I have the following router in PPPoE mode, means I used to dial every time. Now the DNS entries are in my PC's ethernet configuration. Does it matter to have it inside the router ? If so how to store the DNS entries inside the following router ?

Thank you

I use a Linksys wireless router to connect to my BSNL Modem. All my home devices (2 laptops, Cell phones, Wii etc.) connect to the Linksys. Now in Modem under DNS settings "Enable Automatic Assigned DNS" is checked and I am getting following DNS serves-Primary DNS Server: 218.248.240.181 Secondary DNS Server: 218.248.240.23 However in router settings I seem to need to setup DNS servers IP's again and there I have to set 3 static DNS IP's, which are set to DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220 218.248.255.145So all my laptop's really don't see the DNS setup in Modem but see the settings in router, which as you can see is Open DNS servers (at least the first two, not sure where the hell I got the 3rd one from)When I ping the open DNS servers, I get really long ping times (Cable cut problems??). So the question is whether I should get rid of Open DNS server IP's in my router config? Does it even matter if the DNS server is giving really long ping times ('cos I guess you need DNS server only to resolve the URL?).What do most guys use here - BSNL's DNS or Open DNS??

well opendns is recommended.. you could use bsnl dns and see if you experience webpages loading faster (i.e. resolving into ip faster ) .. if so stick with bsnl dns.. in most cases opendns is the best way to go..

Hi friends,Just wanted to know,what is the difference in:-obtaining ip address and dns server automatically and entering it manually.What should i keep automatically or enter it manually as provided by mtnl.thanks and do reply

Hi frnds, i got this mail from mtnl a few days back.

Steps to configure following Four DNS in LAN card of PC:
Dear MTNL subscriber,

Kindly note following simple instructions for better triband service.

1. Go to "Start" - > "Network Connections".
2. Right click on "Local Area Connection". Click on "Properties".
3. In "General" tab, select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click on "Properties" button.
4. Select "Use following DNS servers addresses".
5. In the "Preferred DNS server" add IP address "59.185.0.23".
6. In the "Alternate DNS server" add IP address "203.94.227.70".
7. To add more DNS server, click on "Advanced" Tab.
8. In the "Advanced TCP/IP Settings", click on "DNS" tab, click on "Add" in "TCP/IP DNS Server" add IP address "59.185.0.50".
9. Repeat the procedure to add IP address "203.94.243.70".

Please ensure all the above four IP addresses of DNS servers in the LAN card of PCs or Laptops.

For more Information contact MTNL Mumbai Helpdesk on 1800 22 88 44 or email helpdesk.mumbai@mtnl.net.in.

MTNL Mumbai

DO I FOLLOW THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS OR NO???

I have purchased a current plan of 750 UL , this month . Since purchase I have found line to remain inactive for a length of 2 to 3 hours for two to three days a week and remains fully down on sundays .🙁 I have tried pinging the DNS ,on sundays, but I get destination net unreachable ,always . My configured DNS are . 218.248.240.208 218.248.240.141 I have configured my D-Link router for pppoa/pppllc . I am asking the network gurus and also veterans here , how to tackle such a situation? 😢