DNS Problems on Excitel Broadband

My excitel is showing limited connectivity since 11pm yesterday. Can this be the reason behind that?

They are completely blocking any DNS other than theirs. Normally an ISP would redirect any DNS requests to use their own DNS, but this is just sheer incompetence. So many devices now days have hard coded DNS and they are basically all unusable now.

I can't believe I am about to say this, but thank god for my backup airtel connection.

Dad's phone can access Internet. So I guess they fixed it. Or reversed the change!

man why cant they just let us user change the dns with the explicit warning being given that we will lose the peering features and such .
i wouldnt mind using google's dns server even if i lose peering speed for some time.

edit - google dns is not working. even though i have it set in my router it is still taking excitels dns

It was ignoring custom dns earlier as well I believe. Yesterday it just stopped accepting queries or something. @Vedant might be able to highlight what they were doing.

I am not using any custom dns and even my connection stopped working yesterday night for about an hour. It said connected and I was able to ping ip addresses but site names were not resolving. I guess their dns server had crashed or something

it has gone down 3 times for small durations 5-10 minutes since that night when it was down for hours. 🙂

DNS leak test - What is transparent DNS proxy
transparent-dns-proxy.png