DNS over TLS issues

• Thread starter Thread starter doineedto
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 3,684
Have you tried using a different server?

Yeah. I have a private server which has stopped working. Tried adguard public server. It works intermittently throughout the day

Same with me. Facing this since sometime in September. I also switched my phone around the same time so thought this was a phone issue.

that is interesting. you could try using wireshark on pc with "tcp.port==853" filter to see whats causing the issue.

you can use yogadns client

Last edited:
Let's encrypt root certificate has expired and Android system has not updated it. Use a TLS certificate from some other authority.

Let's encrypt root certificate has expired and Android system has not updated it. Use a TLS certificate from some other authority.

AdGuard DNS ( dns.adguard.com) uses their own cert though (not Letsencrypt) . Unless, OP meant AdGuard Home.

I tried dns.google one.one.one.one and dns.adguard.com on Airtel LTE and its all working fine.

Last edited:
Interesting. Did not know that. Let me try this.

But I also tried 'dns.adguard.com' and even this intermittently gives me a 'Private DNS cannot be accessed message'

According to Let's Encrypt documentation, only Android devices prior to version 7.1.1 will have any issues whatsoever. I am on Android 11. So this seems less likely to happen.

@doineedto the certificate is the public side one of the certificate root authority which you can obtain for free... Probably look at letsencrypt website for steps to update it on your device?

@vishalrao I understand how the SSL certificate works. Lets Encrypt docs say that Android versions greater that 7.1.1 should trust the new root CA Cert by default. Besides I am not sure if you can update the trusted root ca on Android.

If I understand correctly, @royalroy switched to a different issuer. Please correct me if I am wrong!

@vishalrao I understand how the SSL certificate works. Lets Encrypt docs say that Android versions greater that 7.1.1 should trust the new root CA Cert by default. Besides I am not sure if you can update the trusted root ca on Android.

If I understand correctly, @royalroy switched to a different issuer. Please correct me if I am wrong!
Thats how its supposed to work but apparently its a mess on android. DoT is part of the base system and doesnt trust the default system certificate store. it uses its own store which hasnt been updated(I dont know if there is even a way to update it without involvement from manufacturer/oem) and broke after letsencrypt tried to fix it on 30th September 2021.