DNS Issue: Kindly help

• Thread starter Thread starter kabira
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 2,380

kabira

ISP
BSNL
I got my new 750 Unlimited plan installed and i was suprised to see that i could not open some of the sites imp to me as well as some my sites hosted in the US. Even a tracert command was not resolving anything.I dont know if the ip's were blocked or something.The ip's of the sites are 208.101.57.249 if anyone wants to check for me (someone using automatic default bsnl DNS)I checked up my DNS setting and it was setto automatically obtain DNS. i changed to open DNS and it worked.Now i wanna know 2 things.1: Can normal bsnl users access the sites. Some sites include punjabi.net and globaltarget.com. Can some pls check and tell me if they can access these site with automatically obtained DNS.2: IS open DNS safe to use? Also Is it legal to use open dns for BSNL ? After all BSNL is subsidiary of Government Of India. 3: I tried open DNS as well as Level 3 Communications dna4.2.2.14.2.2.2Cause i found Level 3 Dns better than open DNS. Actually not much difference but worried over security.6: I donno much abt DNS but heard abt DNS poisoning. Can someone help me out as far as safety is concerned cause i do a lot of transations, banking and similar stuff.5: Is there a list of BSNL Dns's available somewhere?Thanx in advance

you can use any DNS,if you feel better for you,DNS poisoning is for dns server's so you dont have to worry about.

You can do any DNS of your choice. As far as I know there are no banned sites in India.

i am sure the ip's were blocked or some kind of a blanket ban on those ip's cause even tracert wasnt working.It worked when i changed to open dnsbut is opendns safe when one uses a lot of online banking, transactions and other finance related stuff?

Yes. Most of us use Open DNS

@kabiraYou can list any number of DNS , in your Network settings pageUnder DNS click advanced, and in the next page Click DNSadd additional DNS in order of use. Or as a compromise enter One OpenDNS and oneBSNL DNS in main page.Which ever is available will be selected.