• Thread starter Thread starter pogodker
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 15,075

pogodker

ISP
MTNL
Hi,
I have just subscribed to a new Hathway Docsis 3.0 plan. Its working fine when i am plugging in the Cat5 cable directly into a laptop. Getting speeds of 38Mbps.
I am trying to configure my existing D-Link 2750U to enable wifi access for this connection. I have tried virtually all the options suggested on this and other similar forums.
quick summary of options tried
1) Using group Interface option suggest on a Trikona BB forum
2) Flashed Dlink to ME firmware to setup ethernet interface
3) Directly plugging laptop and modem to Dlink router ports and disabling DHCP server functionality in the router
So far i have been able to get internet through the wired connection from Dlink (i.e. Dlink is wired to Hathway cable modem and laptop is wired to Dlink).
However once i do that i am unable to connect through the wireless. My android phone keeps alternating between obtaining ip; Authenticating and poor internet connection avoided. I also tried to force it to connect by aping all IP settings as pulled automatically when connecting laptop through wired network.
I suspect the issue maybe one of these (or something altogether different)
1) Unlike the wired connection; my android phone is unable to obtain IP/DNS settings when connecting through wifi
2) Something to do with MAC ( less likely - as i have no login requirement whatsoever)
3) DNS: I suspect this might be the biggest issue. i have tried to hard code DNS into both laptop/router but doesnt seem to help
Will really appreciate it if someone can help me resolve this.
Thanks

Get in touch with the guys at Hathway. They need to do some stuff at the backend to make sure that the wifi router connected by you works with the existing equipment. I think the problem comes up because for non Docsis 3.0 users they have the authentication screen. Speak to them, they get in done quite quickly.

Thanks
Hathway customer care refuses to acknowledge that the problem is at their end. Keep saying "since its your router hire a private engineer to figure out the settings for you.. all we can say is DHCP should be automatic, DNS should be automatic".
Do you know specifically what changes they need to make, so i can push them on this?

Well one option is to open the browser on the device on which you are connected through wifi. Any site you go to will take you to the Hathway Authentication Page. Fill in your login once and it works thereafter. I must warn you though that this worked perfectly for me the first time, the second time round, I kept getting the authentication page - that is when their engineer did something from the back end. I hope you are calling the number given on the modem - I have found those guys to be very helpful.

Issue is that the wifi itself doesnt connect. It just says obtaining IP then it says authenticating and then it drops off saying avoided poor internet connection.
Also i dont have any login password as it is apparently not required for Docsis 3.0.

I am not able to figure out how to login into dlinkrouter once DHCP is disabled. the usual 192.168.1.1 doesnt work.
For some weird reason even my ipconfig/ping functions are not working.

@pogodker, did it work? I just installed a new firmware on my wifi router and I had the same problem you were having. I managed to log into my wifi router and it started working when in the manual settings for internet I pressed "Clone your computer's MAC address". Try doing that - of course assuming you can make it into your router's firmware program.

dinjo_jo said:
Does 2750 works well with Hathway Connection ?
Well that is what pogodker seems to be using. I couldn't get my ADSL (Netgear) wifi router to work as a stand alone router. Apparently it only takes wifi coming in from the ADSL connection.