DIY: RO Filter maintenance

• Thread starter Thread starter ghpk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 83
  • Views Views 23,824
Another Tool/Gadget to finger my D.I.Y. Itch,

Will be Using it to monitor RO Water and would skip the service contracts, cause spares are easily available now a days
and for those who know how it works, can easily save a couple of thousand a year.
Basic operation is, You can check TDS level twice a month, The least the reading is, purer the water is.
my current reading is 21 after 1 year of usage. I am not spending 4.5k on contract this time.
New Filters and membrane installed would give readings, near 0(Zero) while normal home usage of 1 yr. should not be more
than 15-25. and if you change the sediment filter in 6 months, your membrane would last twice its normal life of 1 yr as suggested by companies, but all that counts is the TDS Count, So watch and act.
new filter set would be around Rs.900 ( 3 filters)
One Decent Filter membrane would be Rs.1200-1400
and companies charge 4K + for annual AMC so what they would cover extra is PUMP, and that's only Rs.1000 tops, so all in all even in worst case scenario (Blown Pump) you can save Rs.1000 and if pump doesn't needs to be replaced you save Rs.2000+ a year.
other parts are considered as consumables and would be charged by AMC providers so its out of equation for D.I.Y. cost.

Last pic from phone cam before it went down for 2 days 🙂
Bought Pocket Digital TDS Meter from this seller delivered a day earlier than ebay estimated time.
Paid Rs.550/- after ebay discount coupon.

the problem is that my ro system is not easily serviceable by me at all , its wall mounted and not easy to open and close , can you tell me any signs of deciding whether auto flush system is installed ? like is auto flush supposed to work every hour and there should be booster running every hour for cleaning of membrane ? because if ro booster is on it has vibrations and i didnt feel it running for no reason ............it only runs when water is taken from ro and is needed to be filled in tank

I didn't see any visible signs, I guess mine too works when the filter functions.

Finally my tds meter arrived today...... It came 2 times to my city but gone away for holidays in Moradabad and some other city, infact even now its showing gone to saharanpur.............. Lol, but still delivered, in a shopclues packing even though I bought from eBay

Now it's a complete Chinese item and cost was 565 but I paid 470 discount......... I was expecting HM brand but there is no branding at all on it, even branding with hm but costing 560 would be Chinese only I believe

Now my tds reading is 37 , can't say how accurate it is, will try raw water soon

and i have this reading with mineral cartridge , the whirlpool guy noticed 58 ro output few days back , will check with his and mine meter same time soon

The water from my Kent is not having a pleasant taste from couple of days. The repair guy on phone said that i would have to replace the filter. But, well, if the filters/cartridges were faulty, the mechanism should had stopped the water flow. But, that didn't happen with the water purifier.

What should i do now? Get a Change all the cartridges/filters in the RO Water Purifier? 😕

I got the technician to my place. He changed to pump, which seemed to be leaking the water into the potable water. The membrane was not required to be changed according to him (for now).

It seemed like there was a leak in the pump, and i don't know whether it was in the inlet and the outlet. I couldn't check on that.