• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 3,896

~Hami~

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
Dish TV served notice on free set-top-boxes

NEW DELHI: Alleging Dish TV's 'free set-top box' offer was an anti-competitive and deceptive act, its rival firm Tata Sky on Friday filed a petition against the Direct- to-Home operator (DTH) with fair trade regulator Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Prac tices Commission (MRTPC).

TataSky contended before the MRTPC that Dish TV was indulging in deceptive advertisements as the set-top boxes (STB) being given out by Dish TV were not for free and was in violation with the MRTP Act, 1969.

Admitting the petition of the TataSky, a 80:20 joint venture between Tata Sons and broadcast major Star India, the MRTPC Bench headed by Justice Mr O P Dwivedi issued notice to Dish TV and directed it to file its reply in two weeks.

During the proceeding of the commission, the counsel appearing for TataSky alleged that Zee group-promoted Dish TV claimed in its advertisement campaign in print and electronic media that its STB were being given for free, which was not the case.

"It is intended directly to deal with its main competitor (TataSky)... By this they are trying to mislead consumers in the market."

As a competitor I could not compel or suggest our rival on any pricing issue. We have no objection in making free for nothing... But cannot allow them to use unfair and uncompetitive practices," submitted TataSky's counsel.

TataSky also submitted that in some schemes, the company (Dish TV) was charging rentals for STP through agreements.

In terms of market share, Dish TV is the leading player in the DTH space with over three million subscribers, while the rival TataSky had recently crossed the two million subscribers mark.

DTH operator also submitted a STB before the Commission contending that it was not free as price was mentioned over the box. - PTI

The Hindu Business Line : Dish TV served notice on free set-top-boxes

heh

The plea will be dismissed for sure as it don't have any merits 😀 Instead of wasting money on needless meritless pleas Tata Sky should concenterate more on their quality and price.

lolz, by the time judge gives the hearing dish tv would already gain through this ad campaign upto reasonable extent.

will any 1 explain to layman like me whether dish tv is charging hidden charges??? i read that dish tv collects only 1) mothly fees in advance2) no installation and setop and dish antenna fees.am i right? if then what is the case for?

the price is the same 3999rsthey are fooling the ppl aroundonly thing is that they are giving 12 months subscription ans some free movies.they are not giving set top box free:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

So Tata Sky which earlier was giving 6 months free for 3300Rs and then later claiming of reducing STB cost by half (but also removing free offer), is not fooling customer OR is not misleading practice?!!there is no morality left in this world anymore.

So Tata Sky which earlier was giving 6 months free for 3300Rs and then later claiming of reducing STB cost by half (but also removing free offer), is not fooling customer OR is not misleading practice?!!

there is no morality left in this world anymore.
yeah.. they were fooling by telling it got reduced to 1499 for STB .. and took off the free stuffs.... they too were fooling customers !!

yeah.. they were fooling by telling it got reduced to 1499 for STB .. and took off the free stuffs.... they too were fooling customers !!

If staying in mumbai please checkout the Reliance energy electricity bill for the month of April-08 their introduction offer of Big TV and the comparitve chart of market offer
Company - STB,Installation,2months subscription
Big TV - 3000 +(free 2 months unlimited access to 40 pay-per-view - cinema movies worth 2000 +Home insurance policy for 1 year worth Rs 499)
Tata Sky - 1499+1000+600 = 3099 +(Nil other benefits)
Dish TV - 2850**+(other benefits Rs186 inclusive.)

Now wait and watch for Air TV , Voda TV , ? TV,? TV :wall: OR :yahoo:

Dish TV served notice on free set-top-boxes

The Hindu Business Line : Dish TV served notice on free set-top-boxes

NEW DELHI: Alleging Dish TV's 'free set-top box' offer was an anti-competitive and deceptive act, its rival firm Tata Sky on Friday filed a petition against the Direct- to-Home operator (DTH) with fair trade regulator Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Prac tices Commission (MRTPC).
TataSky contended before the MRTPC that Dish TV was indulging in deceptive advertisements as the set-top boxes (STB) being given out by Dish TV were not for free and was in violation with the MRTP Act, 1969.
Admitting the petition of the TataSky, a 80:20 joint venture between Tata Sons and broadcast major Star India, the MRTPC Bench headed by Justice Mr O P Dwivedi issued notice to Dish TV and directed it to file its reply in two weeks.
During the proceeding of the commission, the counsel appearing for TataSky alleged that Zee group-promoted Dish TV claimed in its advertisement campaign in print and electronic media that its STB were being given for free, which was not the case.
"It is intended directly to deal with its main competitor (TataSky)... By this they are trying to mislead consumers in the market."
As a competitor I could not compel or suggest our rival on any pricing issue. We have no objection in making free for nothing... But cannot allow them to use unfair and uncompetitive practices," submitted TataSky's counsel.
TataSky also submitted that in some schemes, the company (Dish TV) was charging rentals for STP through agreements.
In terms of market share, Dish TV is the leading player in the DTH space with over three million subscribers, while the rival TataSky had recently crossed the two million subscribers mark.
DTH operator also submitted a STB before the Commission contending that it was not free as price was mentioned over the box. - PTI

------------------------------

MRTPC issues notice to Dish TV for set top ad

MRTPC issues notice to Dish TV for set top ad

Fair trade regulator MRTPC today issued notice to Direct-to Home operator Dish TV following complaint by rival TataSky over misleading advertisement by the former of its free set-top box offer.

Admitting the petition of TataSky, a 80:20 joint venture between Tata Sons and broadcast major Star India, the Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Commission Bench headed by Justice O P Dwivedi issued notice to the Zee-group promoted Dish TV directing to file reply.

During the proceedings of the Commission, counsel appearing for TataSky alleged that Dish TV's current advertisements in print and electronic media were deceptive as the company was "not providing" free set top boxes.

TataSky counsel submitted that the campaign was an act of "unfair trade practice" under the MRTP Act, 1969, as it was against fair competition and requested the commission to restrain Dish TV from continuing it.

"It is intended directly to deal with its main competitor (TataSky)... By this they are trying to mislead consumers in the market.

"As a competitor I could not compel or suggest our rival on any pricing issue. We have no objection in making free for nothing... But cannot allow them to use unfair and uncompetitive practices," submitted TataSky's counsel.

It also submitted that in some schemes, the company (Dish TV) was charging rentals for STP through agreements.The DTH operator also submitted a STB before the Commission contending that it was not free as price was mentioned on the box.

This thread says hello to you. Why don't people ever check for redundancy before posting new threads here? >.>

^^ i did see that man, but the plan was very dumb. the bill that we received was of april, so sometime in mar-april this scheme might have been launched for REL customers.then dish tv launches 4000 scheme with installation + 12 months + some free movies on demand + free STB& this plan sounds stupid

i really like the zee plan just for the convinience of one year prepaid payment... i got the second connection at my place using that plan... hate to pay 600 a month for television but that's india today.sadly it would be close to rs. 1000 when i get my own television set... 😢

now i hope dish (or anybody) sues zee for falsely claiming "dvd quality" 😛

So Tata Sky which earlier was giving 6 months free for 3300Rs and then later claiming of reducing STB cost by half (but also removing free offer), is not fooling customer OR is not misleading practice?!!

there is no morality left in this world anymore.

You are right. TS section praised Tatasky for that! If similar things are done by others they flame them :rofl:

now i hope dish (or anybody) sues zee for falsely claiming "dvd quality" 😛

Tatasky should also be sued. Both falsely claim it as DVD quality.